Basil turning brown or black

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoopyButt

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, my wife and I are soaking basil leaves in vodka as a flavoring project but the leaves have turned a dark color (almost black or brown) after a few hours. Is this normal and is it still good to use? Would it compromise the flavor?

Normal for it to turn a dark color after cutting it, we use it a lot at the restaurant and it does this.
I am assuming soaking it in alcohol would be no different and would probably accelerate the wilting process to a larger degree.

Nightshade said:
Normal for it to turn a dark color after cutting it, we use it a lot at the restaurant and it does this.
I am assuming soaking it in alcohol would be no different and would probably accelerate the wilting process to a larger degree.

At the restaurant we blanch it in boiling salted water for 30 seconds then shock it in ice water then squeeze it out it will be perfectly green

Nightshade said:
Does that change the flavor at all?

No if anything it may help with the brewing process. Might get rid of some harshness as well You can also try Thai purple basil or lemon basil

Latest posts

Back