Cut new growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueman89

Reaction score
I have been trying to keep up with pruning new shoots from the ground, and am keeping all leaves stripped for the first 2 feet. But should I be cutting these sidearm things in that same range?

ForumRunner_20130520_081020.jpg

Slow down, Blue man.

First, if these are 1st year, let it all grow. If they are 2nd or thereafter, train 3-5 and trim the rest.

Let them get some height before you trim the bottom 2 feet, unless you are having real pest problems.

Leave the sidearms. That's where most of your cones will grow.

2nd year. The biggest are already 7+ feet high. Just wasn't sure if I wanted the sidearms so low to the ground. All the trimming of shoots have been root based growth, after I had my 5-6 per plant. Some of the shoots have been breaking ground more than a foot away from the plants. I let everything go last year like I read you should. Harvest was 2 oz dry (13oz wet) for each plant. These two plants I was given are just monsters.

Towards the end of june I strip up about 2 feet off the ground - read this somewhere years ago - to help prevent pests. You could actually see the bottom 2' of vegetation looking like it was burning/drying up on the fringe of the leaves. The first year I had a huge aphid problem but the hops laid on the ground like a bush. The second year I didn't spot any bugs and they grew to 25' with the bottom 2' stripped of leaves and sidearms. I began leaving sidearms about 5 feet off the ground. I'll do the same this year for vigorous varieties.

Me also. Is this for disease purpose or does it help energy go to cone production or both?

The less foliage at the base of the crown, the better. This is where most disease problems begin and what you're doing by removing the lower leaves and sidearms is to help improve air flow so it can dry out quicker. High humidity and standing water on the leaf surface can accelerate a disease problem bigtime.

Hmm, I had a great 1st year on my Cascades. Butt I had a jillion aphids, I was told by the brew shop they go hand in hand with Cascades ? I'll try the leaf removal this year :rockin:

Hmm, I had a great 1st year on my Cascades. Butt I had a jillion aphids, I was told by the brew shop they go hand in hand with Cascades ? I'll try the leaf removal this year :rockin:

Or 4-5 weeks before harvest dump a bunch of lady bugs out there, for 5-6 bucks for 1500 from your local garden shop they will likely get rid of a lot of your aphid problem.

Latest posts

Back