Fermentation Wrap - I'm a believer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
So, I had been doing a lot of research on the Fermwrap (or something of the like) because I have 2 beers coming up with higher fermentation temps. I decided to just go for it since I never really found solid reviews of how they work. I bought some heat tape, a thermowell and had a temp controller from a while back. With 6 gallons of water and NO insulation, it was able to raise the temp by 10° over ambient. This setup was cheap. I think $25 total minus the temp controller. Well worth it for anyone who is curious. (Note the picture says 90 on the controller. I just got done cleaning the carboy and the water was too hot to test it). It brought the temp from 64 ambient to 74 in about 3 hours and again, that is without insulation, no fermentation activity and with only 46 watts. Just thought I would share if anyone is on the fence about something like this.

image-1061346708.jpg

I use duct tape or electrical tape. Works well. I was using that silver bubble wrap stuff to insulate it. I had a temp controller malfunction and a carboy sitting insulated in my chest freezer that I did everything in including serving kegs had an ambient temp of 35 degrees and that heat wrap had the carboy sitting at a "cozy" 108 degrees. Those heat wraps work VERY well!

Back