Getting fermentation unstuck...a report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
So I had a thread about my issues:

Belgian strong. Partial mash. T-58. At 64. At a month reading at approx 1.03. I moved the glass upstairs into a closet to try and raise the temp to no avail.

Got busy. Left the beer for almost 2.5 mos now.

After some reading I've roused the yeast, put the glass in a cooler of water and stuck an aquarium heater in there. I measured it again (only second time). Still at 1.03 but it tasted better than before. More nuanced. Less acetyldehyde-y. not so annoyingly sweet.

I'm going to push it to just above 70 for a week or so and see what happens.

I'm only worried now that I roused the yeast after I took the reading. Ha. Could the oxygen introduced after taking off the valve ruin it?

[...]I'm only worried now that I roused the yeast after I took the reading. Ha. Could the oxygen introduced after taking off the valve ruin it?

You mean the tiny bit that might have dropped into the fermenter while you were drawing an SG sample?

No...

Cheers!

I figured it wouldn't be an issue. I was under-functioning in my care for details like this for my first 12 extract brews. Then I messed up about 4 batches in a row. I've been on a roll with the last four partial mashes because I'm over-functioning..........!

How are you measuring the gravity? Hydrometer, or Refractometer?
If refractometer, then you should be aware that it does not give an accurate reading after fermentation has started, as the alcohol messes up the refractive index of the beer. There are calculators that say they take the alcohol into account, but I have never found one that is accurate or consistent.

-a.

Back