Imcomplete fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I have a irish red that didnt really come out right. This was the first time I used wpl004 and did not know what to expect. I brewed 10 gallons so I made a 4000ml starter. I am used to wpl001 and it really kicks off but this one didnt do much. It did make a little foam and dropped the og so in it went. After 3 weeks in the bucket it dropped the og of 1.062 down to a fg of 1.015. Close to what it is supposed to be. 2 weeks in the keg and its ok, not great. Never did clear out and kinda sweet.
Any suggestions? or do I just hold my nose and drink it?

What fg were you shooting for? I have used wlp004 for many of my stouts and I rarely get past 1.017 or so, but I like how it leaves the stout with a little bit of sweetness. Next time I would go with another yeast for this particular beer if you want a lower fg. For this beer you could try and pitch some Nottingham to lower your fg, it shouldn't alter the flavor.

Thanks,
I was thinking that it was acting different from what I am used to. I can probably get used to the sweetness. What should I do about the cloudiness? I have heard of using gelatin, but it is 5.5 weeks old now and already carbonated in the keg.

Back