Brewing with Basil and Lemon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate77

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing this recipe and adding some lemon zest. I have a couple of questions:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bison-brewing-company-honey-basil-ale-clone-264689/

1. Does the basil get taken out before it's put into the primary for fermentation, or is it left in for the duration of the fermentation process?
2. How much lemon zest is good and when is it good to add during the boil? Would it be at flameout or before? Also, do I strain out before putting into primary or leave in?

I will not be doing a secondary...so it will go straight into primary and then to bottling after 3 weeks or so.

I want to do the same (how I saw your post) sounds like the options are: lemonade powder mix, lemon flavoring and lemon zest. I am going to try just a tiny bit of lemon zest toward the en of my boil. Everything I read says to add some unfermented sugar to the beer in order to give it a lemon aid like flavor, I just want a hint of aroma and lemon flavor, so i wont be adding sweetener but that's just me.

Yeah, definitely no sweetner for me. I'd like a bit of the lemon taste, but I definitely don't want a sweet beer. Sounds like I should take out before putting into primary (i.e. the basil and lemon), so that's probably what I'll plan on doing.

nate77 said:
Yeah, definitely no sweetner for me. I'd like a bit of the lemon taste, but I definitely don't want a sweet beer. Sounds like I should take out before putting into primary (i.e. the basil and lemon), so that's probably what I'll plan on doing.

Let me know how it goes, I have been barred from brewing temporarily (apparently I need a job). But this will be my next endeavor.

Back