FIRST all-grain: Apricot Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManTail

Reaction score
Hi folks! So - I started brewing a couple months back and now have 3 recipes/batches under my belt: Midwest's Smooth Nut Brown and their Liberty Cream Ale, and my own extract recipe, a honey wheat. They've all turned out great (with rave reviews!) so I've decided it's time to go ahead and try my hand at all-grain. I went ahead and purchased the full copy of BeerSmith 2 and have designed my first recipe, an apricot ale. I wanted something similar to Pyramid's apricot ale. I've done research and have gathered quite a bit of info about their recipe and have come up with my own "clone", although it won't be exact. I've put my own spin on it to make it my own. Please review this recipe, keeping in mind that this will be a BIAB (brew in a bag) batch in a 5.25 gallon pot. Please critique both the method involved and recipe (both noted). One big question I had is this - is it necessary to mash out with BIAB, or can I just fly sparge with the remaining amount of water? And do I need to test ph levels to confirm saccharification?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.33 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 45.7 %
4 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 45.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.9 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 4.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -
3.90 oz Apricot Extract (Bottling 5.0 mins) Flavor 8 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 12.0 oz

----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 18.88 qt of water at 154.8 F 147.9 F 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

You don't need to mashout or fly sparge with BIAB. Dunk sparge the grain bag into 168 F water to rinse the grains. Let the remainder drain in a bucket with an upside down bowl on the bottom while you're starting your boil. You can add those runnings back to the kettle later.

I would lower the IBUs to like 10-15, considering you're at 1.046 OG and brewing an Apricot Ale, not a hoppy APA. The hop selection/variety shouldn't be important here. Go with Nugget to get your IBUs and be done with it.

I would use some combination of frozen apricot, apricot puree or juice, and apricot extract... not just one of these. You don't want it to taste too artificial, or run the risk of having it turn out too potent, which a lot of extract can do.

Try to use Wyeast 1010 if you can. It would rock in an ale like this. Wyeast 1272 would be my second choice.

Back