Hate to be that guy but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdonnelly68

Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the hell is floating in my wort? Looks like fromunda cheese.

I'm at boil for a simple All Grain Czech Pilsner (Weyerman Pilsen, Carafoam and Munich II). I overshot my efficiency due to crush (86%). Haven't added hops yet. Notice the crud right about the time I hit the hot break. It seems to be increasing in quantity as I boil.

I'm assuming it's just proteins coagulating, but in 100+ batches I've never seen hot break like this.

Any insight?

image-3577290637.jpg

image-1572227467.jpg

As Unionrdr said, if this is already chilled, it could be cold break. Otherwise, if it's still in the boil, it is probably hot break. Both come from the same thing: coagulated proteins which are thermally shocked out of solution when the temperature is changed rapidly.

mjdonnelly68 said:
Added details. Can't be cold break - just started the boil.

I get that sort of hot break when I use pils malt or sometimes a significant % of wheat malt. Looks kinda like egg drop soup? No worries though. I do a manual whirlpool for 5 mins (stir for 20 sec, let the wort spin down) after FO and that stuff piles up nicely in the middle of my pot.

I get that sort of hot break when I use pils malt or sometimes a significant % of wheat malt. Looks kinda like egg drop soup? No worries though. I do a manual whirlpool for 5 mins (stir for 20 sec, let the wort spin down) after FO and that stuff piles up nicely in the middle of my pot.

Looks exactly like egg drop soup.

Hotbreak and a whirlpool it is then.

Gotta love homebrewing. 100 batches booked and I can still manage to find something new to fret over...

Thanks Gents - Happy Easter!

EDIT: Thanks Ladies and Gents!

I wonder if with your increase in efficiency you might have got a lot of flour in your boil pot? Just guessing though but next boil I do I am going to look more closely and see if I get it

Yeah, that's probably it. Pilsner malt gives me crazy hot break, and with 8% carafoam it seems like it would really be thick! I've never seen anything like that, though. I've had some really weird looking hot breaks but not meatballs. :D

Yeah - it's definitely a little left of center.

With my luck it'll be the best Czech Pilsner I've ever made and I won't be able to replicate the veal meatballs again. :)

I wonder if with your increase in efficiency you might have got a lot of flour in your boil pot? Just guessing though but next boil I do I am going to look more closely and see if I get it

Yeah, I'm going to write it off to the crush. I noticed that the crush was much finer than I normally get (lot's of flour, fewer husks).

Live and learn.

I get that EXACT same stuff from time to time. It is just break material and protiens. I have never seen/tasted any ill effects when I get it in my boil.

Thanks for all the help.

I did a vigorous whirlpool at flame out and then used a trickle rate of flow into the carboy. Was able to leave all the meatballs in the boil kettle and the wort in the carboy was crystal clear.

Another brewing disaster narrowly averted thanks to the collective intelligence of the forum. Go team HBT - BooYa!

Now I'm curious.

I may brew another batch before I adjust my mill. And then also try a protein rest to see if that makes a difference.

I exceeded my target OG by two points (1.056 vs. target of 1.054) so I'm not thinking the batch will be negatively impacted. Left a ton of coagulated proteins in the kettle though, might not be able to count on the creamy, long lasting white head I'm used to seeing on my Czech Pils.

Time will tell.

The coagulated proteins are gluten the proteins that give a nice frothy head are dextrins so you're good. I notice the coagulated glistens after every sparge.

Here's my boil yesterday--grist was 12# German pils, 12# white wheat. Same egg drop soup look.

protein.JPG

Did a Siason last night with 10.5# pilsner. Got the same crud looking stuff. Must be that type of grain.

ds.JPG

c.JPG

Yeah, I used a bunch of Pils malt when I've brewed my Kolsch and Belgian Dubbel batches. I got the same egg drop soup type of hot break.

Back