Runoff and temp drop...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biochemedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Basic assumptions:
I batch sparge.
I generally drain off all my first runnings before adding sparge water.
I mash in a Coleman Xtreme cooler, so I have no way to directly heat my mash to mash out temps.
I only have one kettle and burner, so I must have my sparge water out of the kettle before I can start heating the first runnings.

Over the past few months (the cold months, incidentally...) I've been noticing lower than expected FG's, as if my wort was more fermentable than I was expecting.

I began to wonder if my temps were dropping significantly enough during runoff that it was causing my fermentability to change; ie, the temp of my first runnings were going low enough to create a more fermentable wort during the time they were drained off and before they went back into the kettle (after the sparge water was dumped into the tun) and were heated to temps high enough to denature the amylase enzymes?

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Is there a better way, given the limitations in my system as noted above?

My most recent batch, I drained about 2.5 gal of first runnings as fast as I could, then put my (essentially boiling) sparge water into the mash tun, then put the limited first runnings to the flame. I then drained about a gallon at a time, incrementally adding this to the kettle, until I reached full boil volume. No word yet as to whether this has affected my FG (it's bubbling away behind me now...)

I checked some additional temperature points this past brew, and found that the 2.5 gals of initial run had dropped from the mash temp of 156*F to ~ 150*F by the time I put it in the kettle and set it to heat. My mash settled to right about 170*F after the addition of my near-boiling sparge.

I have considered whether or not I should insulate the bucket I sparge into as well...

Sorry to bump my own thread, but still wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether temp drop during run off could cause significant changes in fermentablility...

I checked my FG for this brew...FG was 1.012. This was a SMaSH (Marris Otter), so there was no other grains that would specifically contribute to a less fermentable wort. I mashed at 156*F...anyone think my FG should've been higher?

Many Belgian beers don't utilize a mashout step with the intent of allowing conversion to continue right into the kettle. This results in more fermentable sugars and contributes to the desired dry character of the style. The mashout arrests conversion and this may be why your FG is low along with lower infusion mash temps, yeast choice, etc... Try WL1968 London ESB if you want less attenuation along with super clear beer.

Generally I add my near boiling sparge after running off some of the mash, this generally raises my grain bed to at least 170*F; as noted I can't do a true mashout because I don't have a directly fired mash tun (mashing in a cooler). So do some of you add all of your sparge water to raise your grain bed temp before starting any runoff?

Also, FWIW, all of my recent brews have been using dry yeast; mostly US-05, but the last 2 have been the new Danstar BRY-97.

Back