Apfelwein Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidty823

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a batch if apfelwein tonight and I had a question about my yeast. The recipe called for wine yeast. But, I used active dry yeast from the store. I heard it offers it's own flavors and benefits. However I want to know if I activated it correctly. Instead of just pouring the yeast in dry from the packet I activated 5 grams in 1 cup of warm water. I stirred the mix until the pellets were no longer distinguishable. Then I poured this into the apple juice and corn sugar mix. Will this still cause adequate fermentation?

Please help!
Cheers

What you used was a bread yeast. Get ready for a long ride and just pray your yeast does not poop out too soon.

The way you rehydrated the yeast is fine. Dry yeast from lalvin suggest to rehydrate just like that but I think the solution sits for about 15 minutes before being pitched. However even if you had pitched dry I am sure it would have still taken off.

Just a couple things to know about your yeast choice so you know what to expect. Bread yeasts have a bad flocculation rate and so the yeast once done fermenting do not clump together and fall to the bottom of the carboy easily. This wine may take 2 - 3 months before it gets really clear. It may even take longer if you happen to stir it up at all while racking off the lees. Also bread yeast is not made to withstand a known ABV level. So this yeast may be able to tolerate 12%abv or 8%abv. So this wine may finish sweet or dry. You never know. Best of luck with the ferment. I don't mean to say this wine will be terrible but just more of a pain than if you used the Montrachet yeast as the recipe intends. Actually last time I made a spiced aple wine it was with bread yeast like you. The wine was good... Just a pain to clear.

Back