Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm going to be picking up some ingredients from my LHBS next week and I came up with a recipe for a blonde ale for the summer. This will be my 2 brew (not counting my first Mr. Beer brew =P). Anyway, here's the recipe:

Full boil
8oz Caramel/Crystal 20L
6lb Light DME
1oz Willamette 60min
1oz Cascade 5min
Packet of Safale US-05

Entered my recipe in the brewersfriend.com calculator and the ABV, IBU, color, etc all came out ok for a blonde ale.
Should I possibly think about adding 8oz of corn sugar to my wort during the boil or maybe adding my Cascade hops for 10min?
Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'd leave out the sugar, but the cascade would be nice at 10m, that way you get a bit of flavor and a bit of aroma. Looks like a nice basic recipe. Let us know how it turns out! Also: Mr. Beer totally counts.

I also would probably leave out the corn sugar the first time. Add it next time if you decide you want the beer to be drier.

The hop schedule I really like these days has additions at 60, 10 and 0, so I'd probably split your 1.0 oz of cascade and add 0.5 oz at each 10 and 0 minutes. Granted, these are APAs and not blondes, but good examples of this sort of hop schedule include Jamil's two APA recipes in "Brewing Classic Styles" and Nebraska Brewing's Cardinal Pale Ale (recipe given in the "Can You Brew It" podcast).

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go for the 60 and 10 min hop additions this time to see how it turns out. Is the yeast selection good or should I consider a different strain?

US-05 is fine for a blonde ale. If you can't make starters, it's the way to go. If you can, WLP001, WLP090, or even WLP029 would also be great.

My next investment (after a propane burner) will be the equipment for a diy stirring plate so I can make starters

Do you have good temperature control for your beer to be able to adjust the temp of the fermenting beer +/- 1 degree? If not- that's where your money should go before anything else. Don't need a dedicated fridge- you can build a SOFC or get a muckbucket and ice bottles.

No temp control right now. I have an adhesive thermometer on my fermentation bucket and I've been monitoring the temp everyday. It's been hanging around 66-68 sitting in my basement. If my basement starts getting too warm, I was planning on just making a swamp cooler. I'm getting a propane burner next week because getting 6 gallons to a rolling boil on my stove top took forever last time.

Back