Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario_B

Reaction score
So, Firestone Walker Brewery has 2 similar stouts (links provided), the Velvet Merlin and the Velvet Merkin. The difference between the two is that the Merkin is 8.5% while the Merlin is 5.5% and the Merkin is aged in Oak Bourbon barrels. From looking at the website, reading other posts and watching the video I've come up with this. Basically, I made a recipe for Velvet Merlin and just scaled up to Merkin. Velvet Merkin is my favorite stout by far. It's only been on tap locally, but finally in the fall of 2013 it's going to be in 22oz bottles. I'd like to see how close I can come to the real deal.

Boil Size 8 gal
Batch Size 6.5 gal

4 lb 2-Row
9.5 lb Maris Otter
3.5 lb Flaked Oats
1 lb Crystal 120
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Carafa III
1 lb Crystal 60
1.5 lb Rice Hulls

3 oz Fuggle 60m

Oak chips and Bourbon in the secondary.

OG 1.088
FG 1.022
ABV 8.5%
IBU 32

What do you guys think of the recipe, grain ratios in particular? How much Bourbon/oak chips do you think would be good? I plan to age this beer with the bourbon for a couple months at least before drinking. It's 6.5 because I plan to bottle some 22's after filling the keg.

merkin is, as far as i know, barrel aged merlin. roughly a third of the alcohol coming from bourbon seems high, but i'd take them at their word.

aim to clone merlin and try different bourbon/oak techniques once you're happy.

Back