A new place to get hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am looking for a new place to get the freshest UK hops. I have had bad luck with my LHBS when it comes to UK Fuggles and UK Kent Goldings. I was wondering if you guys had some good recomendations for other places that I could order from. Thanks.

Midwest & northern brewer are right there in WN. Or maybe freshops.

I dont want to start anything but Midwest is where I have been having horrible luck. Northern Brewer had nice hops but the price was a little spendy. Now I could look at it and say, should I pay more for better quality or should I look at other stores outside my realm. We'll see, thanks for the response.

http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/

$17 and $19 per pound for fuggle and EKG - Hop Union bags = Fresh! Good shipping price too.

If you want fresh, your best bet is by the pound in the nitrogen flushed Hop union bags. Smaller quantities are often repackaged and may lose freshness depending on handling.

Dude you were able to answer so many questions in this post. I had a hunch about how things "seemed" to be packaged at my LHBS, I never was sold on the idea. Like you said, they are packaged, opened, packaged again in 1oz. packages, who knows how long they sit out, then thrown in the cooler, then taken out and purchased. Not a fan...Thank you.

Got some Kent Goldings pellets from Yakima Valley last week; the aroma was truly amazing.

I am thinking of trying Yakima now that I know about them. Went to the website and it got me very intrigued. Thanks

be advised that yakimavalleyhops doesn't sell commercial bags like, say, from HopUnion. instead this person gets bulk amounts directly from the growers and re-bags them in food-saver bags (vacuum/air sucked out). he says that the hops are kept frozen at all times.

i've bought from YVH and have been quite happy with the product. the prices are hard to beat and the quality is great. just want to to give you a heads-up about what to expect.

I use a lot of yakima valley hops, and they are just plastic bagged. there domestic golding and fuggles are as good (maybe better) than actual UK hops.
but they are really close and the bags aren't an issue. Now if your in florida hop union bag might be better.
3 hours away is as fresh as it gets :)

Back