Method for Primer Additon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPADave

Reaction score
Basic question from a novice: Is there a standard or preferred method for mixing the priming sugar solution into 5 gallons of fermented wort at bottling time?

I heat mine on the stove and dissolve with as little water as I can. (Maybe a cup or two). I don't bother to cool the solution, a cup of hot liquid doesn't have a chance against 5 gallons of beer. I pour half the solution into the bottom of the bucket. Then I start to rack the beer to the bucket. When half full I gently pour in the remainder of the priming solution. Once I've racked all the beer I will GENTLY stir the beer with a sanitized spoon. You don't want to oxidize the beer but you want to make sure the priming solution is evenly dispersed.

What I do and have read of other people doing this is dumping the priming sugar in your bottling bucket. Then while racking the beer have it slowing spinning to mix everything together

It's easiest to boil up the sugar in two cups of water, and pour that into your sanitized bottling bucket. Then rack the beer into that. It's great to have longer tubing than you think you need, as you curl the tubing in the bottom of the bottling bucket, and then start the siphon. It swirls as it fills, filling from the bottom, to mix up the sugar well without oxidizing the beer.

Some people sanitize large handled spoons or dowels to gently stir, but I never do since it mixes well just by the swirling as it fills.

Then, stick a bottling wand in the spigot of the bottling bucket and fill all the bottles. It's pretty easy and straight forward.

Back