Dual use control box (12v Auber?) (smoker/brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
The jobs of maintaining my RIMS circulation heat and running my Barrel smoker are fairly simmilar in theory, I'm trying to figure out how to make one control box that I can switch between my brewery and my Smoker cart.

I was going to use the Auber three 1/16 DIN box for the build, Obviously the Auber 2352 or 2362 universal come to mind mated to a 25 amp SSR.

BUT the smoker would LOVE to run on 12V so I can toss a small car battery on the cart to run the fans and controller in the "field"

Auber does sell a 1612B PID in 12V......

Would it be easier to make two independent systems in the same enclosure with two PIDS? Or is there a reasonable way to have one PID do both jobs with a little reprograming?

I suppose you could use the same pid for both is you installed a 12v transformer to run the pid for your brewing system when plugged into ac current and then put some banana plug jacks in the side of your panel to power the pid from 12v out in the field. you may want a switch to isolate the transformer when you are feeding the pid from the battery. I am not sure how the transformer would react to 12v being fed to it.

You could probably use a DPDT (or 3PDT) switch or contactor to change the input (and output) power mode between 12V and 120 or 240V AC.

When in AC power mode the transformer can power the 12V PID. When in DC power mode the battery can directly power the PID and Fans.

Had another idea.
You could design the panel for AC power, use AC fans and use one of those power inverts designed for your car to convert 12V DC to 110AC. This would simplify the control panel design.

I was just logging in to mention this. I'm starting to think the power loss from the inverter will be well worth the simplicity of sticking with 120v

Skip the separate battery.
You will need a vehicle to get the smoker to the site and can always use the interter + extension cord to power the control panel from your vehicle's battery.

one or two PIDs will depend on how often you switch back and forth - the main difference will be the "tuning" between the different systems will have to be set up each time. If you manually put the values in, probably not a big deal, but if you plan to use auto-tuning, it'll be a PITA.

Back