Apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdean_39

Reaction score
I am going to attempt making 5 gallons of apple wine. How much sugar do y'all think I should use and how many cans of concentrate?

When I do concentrate wines my ratio is 2 cans concentrate a gallon and 1.5lbs sugar per gallon. I like it sweet, you can cut down the sugar.

If you click on my recipes ( <----- over on the side) and go to the general concentrate wine there's been some discussion on how to do it best.

Here is a pic of the apple, cherry wine that I am getting ready to bottle I back sweetened it with 10oz of clover honey turned out very drinkable after 3 months

ForumRunner_20130413_190803.jpg

ForumRunner_20130413_190816.jpg

johngottshall said:
Here is a pic of the apple, cherry wine that I am getting ready to bottle I back sweetened it with 10oz of clover honey turned out very drinkable after 3 months

That is one good looking glass of wine.... I'm finishing up on five gallons of peach wine but still wondering how the easiest way to strain the sediments to make it clear as yours.

That is one good looking glass of wine.... I'm finishing up on five gallons of peach wine but still wondering how the easiest way to strain the sediments to make it clear as yours.

Did you use pectic enzyme?

Yes I used pectic enzyme

I know you did john ;) I was talkin to bigdean about his, if you don't use pectic enzyme there is a change it will never clear on it's own. If you did and you are getting impatient for it to clear degas it and hit it with sparkolloid.

johngottshall said:

Recipe on that???

64 oz. 100% apple juice
64 oz. 100% cherry juice
1 lb, 6 oz. sugar
1 tsp. acid blend
1 camden tablet
1/4 tsp. tannin
1 1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient
1 2/3 tsp. pectic enzyme
71b/1122 yeast

Pour apple juice in to primary and stir in sugar until dissolved. Add tannin, yeast nutrient, camden and acid blend and stir. In 12 hours add pectic enzyme, stir. In 12 more hours add activated yeast stir every day until you transfer in to secondary (approx. 2 weeks).
Starting gravity was approximately 1.100.

Degassed in approximately 3 weeks. After stabilization, I added 10 oz. of clover honey for back sweetening. I let it stand for approximately 4 weeks then bottled.

I usually like to use 4-5 cans of concentrate per gallon. this will give you a fuller flavor and you will not have to add as much sugar cause there is already sugar content in the juice. 1.100 is a good S.G. reading for a 12% wine

stir every day until you transfer in to secondary (approx. 2 weeks).

What are the advantages of stirring every day for so many days? Shouldn't the yeast be done multiplying long before then, and thus need to run out of oxygen in order to start using sugar to make alcohol?

I've only made a few batches myself so I wonder if I could speed things up by stirring as you suggest. My ~1.095, 6 gallon batches take 4 weeks to dry out in a 66°F room. I've never stirred or aerated after pitching because I'd heard it's not necessary and risks contamination.

Back