Have question on position of ss mesh screen in keggle and other stuff!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
I had a horrible experience with my recently new aquired equipment. I have purchased valve, dip tube, and ss screen. I figured I would be able to begin doing bigger batches now that I have a keggle! I have another keg ready to be put together however, not enough funds right now. So to attempt to do a BIAB I went for it! Heres my post from my first experience with BIAB

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bi...0-gallon-batch-401574/index2.html#post5085090

Ok, I had a major issue with leaf hops clogging up my dip tube rendering my siphon useless. I was embarassed because Ive been braging to my brew parter all week long this would help us out in moving foward to all grain. Needless to say he wasnt impressed. I had to auto siphon it out :(

I have a ss screen that I purchased with the valve and dip tube figuring it would work. The screen is only 10 inches and is warped. I figured this was intended for a mash tun and the heat would flatten it out.

Question
1) Does the warped screen being off centered contribute to the hop clogging my dip tube?

2) Do I need to cut the Dip tube to line up with the keggle to be centered?

3) When I move forward and do all grain does it matter that Im off centered and the screen is warped? Would the Screen cave under pressure, so to speak?

Yes I will be trying a hop sack next time.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Back