Dupont yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with re-cultured saison dupont yeast?
I am in the process of designing an anglo-belge table saison and beercalculus tell me that this yeast gives only 70% attenuation.
Is this right?
I was going to add about 10% maple syrup amd began thinking about mash temperatures.
Any help ?
Cheers,lee

You should get higher attenuation than 70%. It should behave similar to 3724 which typically brings the gravity down into the single digits, given the proper temp and time. The Farmhouse Brews book indicates that Dupont might be a blend of strains which includes 3724, but its not clear. In any case, you should get a good idea of yeast behavior by reading through the 3724 threads.

Cheers for that. You put my mind at rest a bit.
Temperature is one thing that is on my side here. In sunny chiangmai it was 37c today, thats about 100f.

Oh yeah you'll be fine. If you can culture it and get a fermentation going, you should get below 1.010 no problem, perhaps even at or near 1.000. If you can restrain the temperature for the first 2-3 days that may be good, but after that close to 100F shouldn't be a problem from what I've read. I've never pushed it that far but I've had it around 90F and all was fine.

well, I stepped up the starter to just over a pint last night.
When I woke this morning it looked to be falling out already.
SO what? Cool to what temperature to start with would you say?

I have brewed a couple of cultured Dupont yeast saisons - like others said, keep cool for a few days, then raise the temp. I finished at 80F with a FG of 1.007. Bone dry and spicy.

I am looking at cooling it and letting it free rise to where ever it will,kind of pushing it to see how it performs in these temperatures.
r2eng, what was your OG?

If you can manage to start in the mid to upper 60's or lower 70's for a couple of days that would be great. Like do you have the ability to just do a "swamp cooler" or something? If not I bet you'll be fine anyhow, by most accounts I've heard the Dupont strain loves the heat. I was just a touch more careful with it when I used it.

oh I can swamp cool. I have a fermentation fridge up and running, but can only manage to get it between 12c and 15c.

Oh, you're golden man! You can still mash low if you want to get more fermentable sugars. I usually do for saisons and stuff.

I am looking at cooling it and letting it free rise to where ever it will,kind of pushing it to see how it performs in these temperatures.
r2eng, what was your OG?

I personally like when I mash a bit higher, too. It's not as dry/light as Dupont, but a more substantial beer - like North Coast LeMerle. I mash at 154.

My OG will be quite a bit lower than yours then r2eng, looking at 1040 as max, as I want a small beer to be quaffed on hot sticky evenings.

Back