AG American Barleywine - critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on this American barleywine recipe. I've never made a barleywine before, and although I've drunk a few, I'm not exactly an expert on the style.

I just know what I want: something with bready/caramel flavor, a balanced hop presence, and that will age well for several years.

I'm generally a proponent that simpler is better, so I'm trying to keep the specialty malts down and focus on a few key flavors.

I'll probably dry hop it when it gets close to bottling time, but I'm not quite there yet. When I do, it'll probably be Summit dry hops.

Also, the recipe below is calibrated based on a pretty low efficiency (I think it was 66%). I usually get upwards of 70% but I understand that efficiency is going to suffer when mashing a beer this big. I'll use DME to get to my OG if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Style: American Barleywine
Volume: 5.25 gal
Target OG: 1.112
Target FG: 1.028
ABV: 11.32%
IBU: 114.3
Color: 17.9 SRM

20 lb Maris Otter
4 lb Munich 10L
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Crystal 150L

Mash: 152F
Boil: 90 minutes

1 oz Galena 12.8% @ 60
1 oz Warrior 16% @ 60
1 oz Summit 16% @ 15
1 oz Summit 15.5% @ flameout

Yeast: US-05 (2 packages)

Overall, I think that looks really good. A couple changes I'd suggest:

Mash lower: aim for 148. Your final gravity is pretty high and you don't want this to be cloyingly sweet. A lower mash temperature will help increase your attenuation.

Drop or increase the late hop additions: the hop aroma and flavor you get from your current schedule will drop out pretty quickly. Since a barleywine requires a long fermentation and aging, these will be pretty much gone by the time you're enjoying them. I would probably drop them, but you could also increase them (maybe by a factor of 2).

At 100+ IBUs, I wouldn't add anymore bittering hops.

Good luck with the brew! Make sure to aerate the wort and use plenty of yeast nutrient to help the buggers out.

Latest posts

Back