Butter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
Anyone used butter in a brew before like a stout or porter. I was thinking of a butter or buttermilk stout. Not sure if that would be weird or when I might add an ingredient like that.

Most brewers try hard to keep the taste of butter (diacetyl) out of their beer. I've tasted bad beers that had a lot of diacetyl and they were awful. I can't think of why anyone would want to put that taste in on purpose. That's the fun of homebrewing though--no one can tell you that you can't do it.

TROLL! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!

seriously, there is a butterbeer thread and no one mentioned actual butter.

Most brewers try hard to keep the taste of butter (diacetyl) out of their beer. I've tasted bad beers that had a lot of diacetyl and they were awful. I can't think of why anyone would want to put that taste in on purpose. That's the fun of homebrewing though--no one can tell you that you can't do it.

Actually in some styles of beer a hint of diacetyl is actually a desired characteristic. At low levels it is quite pleasant in English Ales.

I think it's a genius idea. Go ahead and do it and let us know how it turns out. Be sure to post pictures! ;)

Always looking for weird ideas to experiment and I'm a why not kind of guy not a why u know

Read trough that heavy cream thread - heavy cream is, after all, a pre-butter form of butter. I think they come up with some viable recipes toward the end.

Why not take beer, which in moderation is healthy, and add fat and cholesterol?

It worked for potatoes!

I'm thinking of adding chicharrone to my beer now. Why snack on them when you drink your beer? Save a step.

I have used evaporated milk in a banana stout. Great head and creamy mouthfeel. (Ha!) It tasted aweful though. A couple people told me it was good.

I love how offended people get about this idea now it's becoming the reason I posted it

I love how offended people get about this idea now it's becoming the reason I posted it

The reason you posted it somehow changes because of how people react to it? How very schizophrenic of you...

But in that particular version of reality, cheesy has (unfortunately) been made correct - that is pretty much the definition of trolling.

The reason you posted it somehow changes because of how people react to it? How very schizophrenic of you...

But in that particular version of reality, cheesy has (unfortunately) been made correct - that is pretty much the definition of trolling.

The lesson here, if it was in fact a genuine suggestion, (butter) is to search the forum.

Chances are you aint the first who thunk of it.

There is a precedent for my TROLL calling. Fermenting milk, ovaltine, etc. have invariably been posted by trolls.

If it is intentional trolling, then fine, that is an art in itself, but to post something ridiculous and be offended by trolling accusations is bizarre.

I've done it. Not real butter, though. I used butter extract.

I brewed an alcoholic version of Harry Potter Butter Beer a few times now. I used butter extract that I bought from the grocery store to add a buttery taste since I couldn't find the butterscotch extract the recipe called for.

I recommend adding a very little at a time to the bottling bucket and tasting to get the right amount of butter extract. A little goes a long way.

I brewed an alcoholic version of Harry Potter Butter Beer a few times now. I used butter extract that I bought from the grocery store to add a buttery taste since I couldn't find the butterscotch extract the recipe called for.

I recommend adding a very little at a time to the bottling bucket and tasting to get the right amount of butter extract. A little goes a long way.

Was it good or just a novelty?

Saxomophone said:

I'm interested in the recipe and if it came out good. I'm a huge Harry potter fan and didn't even think about the butter beer when I posted this. A butterscotch beer sounds great. I just assumed they was so much out there that someone must have tried it and either succeeded of failed. I mean if u can eat it then damn sure u can make it into a beer somehow. Right?

Revvy said:
Fat would kill any head.

I've always been a little confused by this, because barley is 4% fat itself, so beer must have some fat content. I've also used cocoa powder and cocoa nibs in beer which is high in fat. At which point does fat overcome head retention?

I'm not a big fan but I don't like sweet beers. My wife and other non-IPA liking people really like it. If you can't find the recipe I'll post mine. I've brewed it with vanilla, nutmeg, butterscotch candies, butter extract, and rum added to a sweet amber ale.

Saxomophone said:
I'm not a big fan but I don't like sweet beers. My wife and other non-IPA liking people really like it. If you can't find the recipe I'll post mine. I've brewed it with vanilla, nutmeg, butterscotch candies, butter extract, and rum added to a sweet amber ale.

Ya I love ipas probably my favorite style I love all types but I also like sweet beers like a chocolate stout sweet stout milk stout so that sounds good and would like to try it just I can't find a real recipe. I u could post yours that would be cool thanks

I've had a couple bacon brews and they were great a maple bacon ale and a breakfast stout with maple bacon coffee chocolate and oatmeal

Here's the recipe. I brew beer the way a cook. I'm never very exact with spice amounts, but what I put here is a good guideline. I crushed the whole nutmeg and added it to about 1/2 cup of rum and let it soak for a few weeks. Butterscotch extract is listed in the recipe but I've never used it.

Butterbeer

Kettle Volume: 5.96 gal (1.058)
Boil Duration: 1 h
Final Volume: 5.0 gal (1.078)
Efficiency: 78.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap./Hour: 0.5 gal
Ingredients:
8.0 lb (57.1%) American 2-row
4.0 lb (28.6%) Wheat Malt; Simpsons
.5 lb (3.6%) Crystal 40; Great Western
.5 lb (3.6%) Honey Malt
1.0 oz (66.7%) Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.5 oz (33.3%) Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
1.0 lb (7.1%) Lactose
3 tsp Vanilla (whole bean) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.5 oz Natural Butterscotch Extract - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea Danstar Nottingham
1.0 Tbs Nutmeg (ground) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Analysis:
Apparent
Original Extract: 18.8 °P
Attenuation: 75.0%
Terminal Extract: 4.94 °P
% Alcohol: 7.7% ABV
Real
18.8 °P
59.5%
7.61 °P

Notes:
Single step infusion 155deg for 60min. Boil 60min.
3 Vanilla beans sliced and soaked or about 2oz vanilla extract with 1 tbsp fresh nutmeg (about 1 whole) in rum and added to secondary.
Butter Extract to taste.
Can melt 1lb butterscotch candies in a little water and add to primary after a few days.

What do butterscotch candies have in them?

Crystal 30 has butterscotch like qualities.

I am suspicious of candy.;)

cheezydemon3 said:
What do butterscotch candies have in them?

Crystal 30 has butterscotch like qualities.

I am suspicious of candy.;)

Butterscotch candies have diacetyl in them. Fo real.

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Salt, Yellow 6, Red 40, Yellow 5 (guess yellow 6 wasn't good enough), Blue 1, Artificial Flavor.

They are Kroger brand butterscotch flavored candy. If I remember right, I think real butterscotch candy does have fat in it. These are artificially flavored, colored sugar.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter actually makes a better butter beer than real butter. True story.

174.jpg

Anyone used butter in a brew before like a stout or porter. I was thinking of a butter or buttermilk stout. Not sure if that would be weird or when I might add an ingredient like that.

One thing that confuses me is are you meaning a milk stout with a butter flavour, or putting buttermilk in a stout? I don't think that the second option will have the desired effect you are after since buttermilk is the leftovers once the cream/butter is removed :D

Latest posts

Back