Post pics of your smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! Yea I've been kicking the idea around for about a year but still haven't bit. I pretty much have it down to the Yoder ys480 and the rec tec. The rec tec is made in china but seems like it might have a better controller? Could be wrong, still doing research. Love the looks of the Yoder, seems super heavy duty. Only thing local I have access to is the Louisiana grills, and they seem pretty pricey for what you get.

I almost went with the ys640 but settled on the pg500 because it's more versatile. I would stick with yoder or fast eddy, heard to many bad things about the rectecs, just my .02

I almost went with the ys640 but settled on the pg500 because it's more versatile. I would stick with yoder or fast eddy, heard to many bad things about the rectecs, just my .02

really? anything in particular? I have been reading of a few complaints of the yoders ability to hold and control temps, but some people have said that the issues have been fixed with a firmware update, but I cant find definite proof. would be nice to have thorough review on it.

Interesting that you said you heard bad things about the Rec Tec.

They're a pretty new brand, and still establishing themselves, but every last review I read on them was good. The selling points for the Yoder for me were:
1. Made in USA, not China
2. Established brand that's been in the game for a decent amount of time
3. The construction -- 350lbs of 10 gauge steel. It's a tank
4. The grilling temps that can be achieved. Most people report that it can hit 700F with the grilling grate package installed.

Interesting that you said you heard bad things about the Rec Tec.

They're a pretty new brand, and still establishing themselves, but every last review I read on them was good. The selling points for the Yoder for me were:
1. Made in USA, not China
2. Established brand that's been in the game for a decent amount of time
3. The construction -- 350lbs of 10 gauge steel. It's a tank
4. The grilling temps that can be achieved. Most people report that it can hit 700F with the grilling grate package installed.

Well, I can't remember specifics at this point but I did a ton of research when I bought mine. Pelletheads.com (check there for a review Veedo) is a wealth of information, in depth product testing on most of the pellet grills/smokers out there, or at least the ones worth testing. For some reason I thought rectecs were chinese made and I believe most of the complaints I heard were in regard to customer service. I have no actual experience with rectec grills or any other than the PG500 which I can't recommend highly enough, mine pegs out my laser temp gun on the fire pot side, the temp gun goes up to 999 degrees F.

:mug:

Smoker mods worked pretty good.

ForumRunner_20130409_192753.jpg

Looks good. I'm doing a smoke tomorrow and Sunday. Cheers, everyone!

I'd like to get my father one of those. Maybe for Fathers day. I know he'd get a kick out of it for sure.

The efficiency is astounding. It holds heat like a boss, and you can shut it down when you are done and I'm just amazed how much lump charcoal I still have at the end of the day.

Some day I wanna get the XL egg.

My project for the spring. Should turn out pretty good. Old dewalt air compressor and an empty propane tank.

ForumRunner_20130426_162746.jpg

All I can say is WOW to some of your guys smokers. I love mine but seems I never get enough chances to use it.

img0984xr.jpg

img0994hc.jpg

Braunfels. Was able to hold very low temps near top where I had my ribs last weekend. Meat temps were around 130 at their lowest, 165 at highest.

2013-05-19 15.43.01.jpg

Honestly, for $225, you might as well just get a WSM and have a separate bowl-grill for doing burgers, etc.

I guess it comes down to convenience.

nickmv said:
Honestly, for $225, you might as well just get a WSM and have a separate bowl-grill for doing burgers, etc.

I guess it comes down to convenience.

I think I agree. I need to look and compare prices more. I have a 22.5" weber kettle but have sold off all my smokers. That $139 ring would be a neat way to improve the indirect heat method inside the kettle. The rotisserie ring caught my eye as well, but that's another $139 if I remember correctly. I need to find someone who has used their stuff.

I think I agree. I need to look and compare prices more. I have a 22.5" weber kettle but have sold off all my smokers. That $139 ring would be a neat way to improve the indirect heat method inside the kettle. The rotisserie ring caught my eye as well, but that's another $139 if I remember correctly. I need to find someone who has used their stuff.

Yeah, the 22.5" WSM uses quite a lot of charcoal, so keep that in mind too.

Really, if you're not looking to spend a bunch, you could get the Brinkmann charcoal bullet smoker, and do the various mods that people do. There's TONS of stuff you can do to that thing.

Just an idea.

nickmv said:
Yeah, the 22.5" WSM uses quite a lot of charcoal, so keep that in mind too.

Really, if you're not looking to spend a bunch, you could get the Brinkmann charcoal bullet smoker, and do the various mods that people do. There's TONS of stuff you can do to that thing.

Just an idea.

If I buy another smoker it will probably be one of the WSMs. I've played the mod game before and I'll probably end up modding a WSM too, but I'd be starting with a better platform.

Side note: a buddy gave me an electric conversion element for a kettle grill the other day. I think it was made for Brinkmann but will fit anything greater than 15.5"... I'm thinking about using it with a controller and cold smoking cheese, jerky, etc.

Here is my latest. I went from Ugly drum to what I call GHETTO FABULOUS!
Here is a Ss 55 gallon barrel with a Ss lid. To pretty to butcher, so I did the Big Poppa kit.
Easily the most efficient UDS I have built.

IMG_1969_zps3844ea61.jpg

Dunno if I would call that "Ugly" exactly. And doesnt that bottle opener get a touch warm?

Here's my setup.

18.5 wsm
22" webber kettle
Cheapo walmart propane grill for burgers and dogs

IMG_4347578688577.jpg

Here is my latest. I went from Ugly drum to what I call GHETTO FABULOUS!
Here is a Ss 55 gallon barrel with a Ss lid. To pretty to butcher, so I did the Big Poppa kit.
Easily the most efficient UDS I have built.

IMG_1969_zps3844ea61.jpg

Was that top piece part of the kit because I didnt see it listed or shown. Great looking smoker BTW :rockin:

ForumRunner_20131212_231713.jpg

Here is my $0 UDS. Well I do have $ Into a whole quart of high temp paint. It was a whim and a challange during a family get together. Free drum that was going to be a trash burn barrel, speaker magnet on bottom side 2" bung to control air inlet, metal milk crate as charcoal basket, random grill grate from the camp fire pit that happened to fit, some bolts to hold the grill and others for Handles on the lid, and a 2" scrap pipe stack out the top. I made some killer ribs that weekend, and have made more ribs, an awesome corned beef brisket, chicken, thanksgiving turkey, and pork butt. Did I mention the cost?!

This pic includes upgrades of paint, the only cost, and an inlet pipe with flapper-damper to replace the speaker magnet that now helps position the cheap kitchen probe thermometer.

Now I need to make one small enough for camping.

Dedicated smoker (though I'm building a mini wsm and a custom controller) and my keggle filling for a brew on black Friday:

temporary_zps1e12ee58.jpg

Trusty Weber OTG with a phatty:
temporary_zps7d7da692.jpg

Latest posts

Back