US Pale Ale Malt vs. British Pale Ale Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This topic has been discussed, but it always rapidly decays into a comparison of MO against American 2-row (pale malt).

I'm looking for a comparison of the Pale ALE malts. While the general discussion is interesting, I will also specifically am looking for Rahr pale ale malt vs. Marris otter. Obviously these are different barley strains, but how different are they? Will Rahr pale ale malt make a decent bitter?

That depends on how you want to define the word "decent". Drinkable? Sure but it is not going to taste like the same beer brewed with British malt. Does a top round steak taste the same as a ribeye? Maris Otter gets a lot of play and just to clear the issue once again, Maris Otter is not a malt it is a barley variety. Several UK maltsters use M/O to produce pale malt and it's all good stuff but so is the UK malt made with the more common barley. I like M/O a lot but use "standard" UK pale malt for many of my ales. Whether or not you will appreciate the difference can only be determined by tasting beer brewed with the various malts in question IMO. This topic has been thrown around countless times so with a little searching you will doubtless find a great many threads on the topic both here and on any other homebrewing forum.

Back