When to transfer to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qbrewer

Reaction score
I've done a few partial mashes so far but have done all in the primary just because I only had one carboy and I'd been reading that the secondary isn't necessary. This batch is the White House honey Ale it's been in the primary for five days now. Directions say to transfer to the secondary tonight but I still have very active fermentation going judging from the bubbling I see in the airlock. I've got an extra bucket now. Should I transfer now or wait till most of the bubbling subsides? I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to follow the directions pretty literally and since I haven't used a secondary yet, I'm just not getting it yet.

Follow up question too. I want to try washing yeast from this batch. Do I use yeast from the primary or secondary (assuming I use it).

Thx all!

Personally, I would not transfer to secondary ever, unless, adding a fruit addition or the like. No reason to give bad bugs a chance to sneak in. I wait at least 2 weeks on smaller beers and 3+wks on bigger beers and just bottle or keg.
If you must transfer to secondary I would wait about 10 days. Be careful with directions on prepackaged beers, not very good sometimes. They can rush the process.
If you want to learn about yeast, go to the yeast forum and checkout the stickies, great info. I would wash yeast from the primary. Should not be a ton of yeast in secondary, if you secondary.

Don't rack it till the beer is at FG. If you don't have a hydrometer,get one. It's the only way to know for sure if it's done. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle. Get a large,jar,at least half a gallon & clean/sanitize it. Then boil & cool some water to swirl the yeast cake loose from the bottom of primary. Pour it into the jar so that it's filled up to the threads on the jar. You'll also need some jars to put the yeast in. Again cleaned & santized. I even use slasa or chip dip jars. So watch the big jar for when the darker trub layer settles out. When you see the lighter colored yeast start to form a dusty layer on top of the trub,pour the suspended yeast into the smaller jars & put the lids on tight. Label them for type of yeast,date,etc & put'em in the fridge. That's it.:mug:

Thanks guys. I guess I know I'm not done yet so I still have time to decide whether to rack or not. Thanks for confirming to harvest yeast from the primary. I had read a bunch about doing it but must have missed the part about where the yeast come from. That's how I work though - I either remember the details and forget the big ticket things or I remember the grand scheme and can't keep the details right.

I've made that kit. I left it in the primary for about 3 weeks. Came out very nice. I wouldn't both transferring it.

I secondary all my beers for conditioning. Cleaning it up. Dryhopping. Or just to free up a Carboy. Not once infected or oxidized my beer. Just be careful when you syphon.. My two cents. Watch now I just jinxed myself lol. No seriously though.. personal preference you will be fine either way you decide

This was actually the first one I didn't do from a kit. I still had a recipe but it was a cool experience pulling grains out of the bin and putting it together myself.

Back