What extract kit is like Coors Light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
My sister is interested in brewing a batch with me. Her favorite beer is Coors Light, and she occasionally drinks Corona. Which kits would you suggest to approximate these types of beer? I have a basic understanding of brewing lagers vs. ales, so any advice on brewing this type of beer would be appreciated.

Treat her, get the brewers best American Cream Ale.

I have to agree here. Light lagers are some of the hardest beers to make with homebrewing equipment, especially using extract - even a very light DME will come out significantly darker than your typical light lager. Also, lagers require temperature control to do them correctly, and while there are things you can do to minimize the effects of higher fermentation temperatures on lager yeast, ale yeasts are still going to be a lot easier to work with.

Cream Ale is a good compromise for this. It is about as light colored and flavored as you can get with an extract, and with the right yeast will ferment out cleanly and crisp even at higher temperatures. It will be light enough for most BMC drinkers, while still having plenty of flavor. While cream ales usually require mashing to handle the adjuncts, the kit fbold1 recommended uses corn sugar to get the same results.

Here's a pic of a partial mash hybrid lager I did with grains & plain light DME;
http://
I need to start using the super moss I finally bought to clear it up more though. But the light color is easy to get with the mash & late extract additions. It looks a hair darker from the position of the desk lamp & the head.

I did a cream ale from Brewmasters Warehouse, I think it was called "mow the lawn" or something. it was very good, and my friend who only drinks Coors Light enjoyed it.

Midwest Supplies has a kit called "this buds for you" which is an American lite beer. I haven't done the extract version, but the all grain one was tasty. probably had a bit more flavor than Coors Light.

Has anyone made the obvious mass produced beer comment yet?

1 oz of any hop 60min boil
kitty urine to taste
Water

Seriously though
5 lbs pale dme added late in the boil
3 oz Willamette hops broken up evenly at 60, 15, 0 mins
Nottinghams ale yeast

I'd bet that'd pretty easy to brew and come out super light bodied.

Have to agree on the cream ale front... I didnt use a kit... steeped some flaked corn, I think there were some rice solids, pilsner lme, light on the hops and it was great... much like coors light with a slight bit more body/mouthfeel...

Ok coores light is good but you can make a much better beer then that. Don't wast your money. But hey do what you want that's just my 2cents

I would try the miller light clone in the hybrid section. She would probably be very pleased.. it is an all grain recipe though

No matter what you brew she will love it! It will be a beer that the both of you made together and thats what she will remember.

Sounds like you will end up with a asst brewer real soon!:D

MoreBeer has an extra light LME that is only 2-3L it is extremely light in color. I use it often for light beers and can get some of my Pales to come out as light or lighter in color than the BMC's. Here in OK that is hard to do since the majority of them are all 3.2% ABV. You cannot get Bud, Coors, or Miller in 5% here at all.

Not to upset your sister, but I got a sixer of coors on sale recently, and damn was it awful, so thin & weak and goes down easier than water......Just an awful, awful beer !!!!......

Not to upset your sister, but I got a sixer of coors on sale recently, and damn was it awful, so thin & weak and goes down easier than water......Just an awful, awful beer !!!!......

I would not say "awful", you just have to appreciate "lawnmower" beer for what they are... just my thoughts

My wife was a Coors Light girl when I met her. But after I brewed a lightly hopped Blonde Ale for her... she was hooked on craft beer. Now she loves, Wheat beers, and Pale Ales. I have slowly, over the last 2 years, added more and more hops to the beers I brew for her. Nothing too crazy, but she is becoming more tolerable to hop flavors.

Brew your sis a good light colored and lightly hopped ale and she will be hooked as well.

Gary

Just ordered my supplies for my retweak of my cream ale that we will be brewing for the big brew day... ill let you know how it turns out... did you guys brew yet?

My NZ hopped partial mash Moari IPA's initial fermentation started slowing down this morning. Boy that US-05 once again chugged right along like a machine pistol The last couple days. I'm hoping to get some more ingredients for national home brewer's day though. Not sure what yet?...

Back