I dont know what "4,5 litre" means when talking about auto siphons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its a short auto siphon for gallon jugs. Its too short for carboys.

"gallons" can be 3.8L or 4.5L depending on what part of the world your in.

My guess is that's the largest size carboy on which it will reach the bottom. Looks like a pretty standard siphon.

Edit: beat me to it and also correct on the math, was thinking 4.5 gallon so not a standard size.

Well, according to the description it means for use in fermenting up to 4.5 liters.

But that doesn't make any sense to me because 1) siphons don't care about how big the container the are in and 2) 4.5 liters is 1 1/2 gallons is the smallest fermenter I can imagine so "up to" phrasing has serious delusions of adequacy.

Keep looking.

a long/standard auto siphon can be a pain in a gallon jug. you have a big vertical climb outside the jug.

the siphon may not care, but the OP will if it only reaches 1/4 of the way down his or her carboy! ;)

D'oh! I must have had aquariums on my mind for some reason. Don't know why. Of *course* it matters if the siphon can't reach the bottom and, of course, that's precisely why that siphon is designed for 4.5 liter carboy max. D'oh!

===========
Aquariums are completely different kettle of fish. Ha!

Back