Waldos special ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseballsmitty

Reaction score
Just tried Lagunitas Waldos Special Ale (4/20 release) tonight and absolutely fell in love with the dank piney flavor. Anyone else tried this and does anyone have ideas for a clone recipe?

Dank and piney... Sounds f**king awesome! Havent had this, but my guess on hops is chinook, summit and apollo... No idea though. Very interested in how this develops!

According to Lagunitas' website: 84 IBU, 10.5 ABV, malted rye, oats, and spelt, dry hopped with HBC366, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Simcoe. That's all I've got for you, but I'd also like to see if this goes anywhere.

According to Lagunitas' website: 84 IBU, 10.5 ABV, malted rye, oats, and spelt, dry hopped with HBC366, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Simcoe. That's all I've got for you, but I'd also like to see if this goes anywhere.

Yup, key thing to note there is they only say what they dry hop with. likely a heavy handed whirlpool hopping to get it so dank/resinousy. Jeremy and other folks at Lagunitas can be somewhat helpful via email, might be worth an inquiry. we can't just ask for the recipe, but if we aren't too far off (ie. we expect columbus/apollo in whirlpool; how heavy? bittered with?, etc)

Full notes from Lagnuitas website:

2013 WALDOS’ SPECIAL ALE
Though we change this slightly every year it always ends up bein’ the dankest, hoppiest brew we make.
This year clocks in at 84.20 IBUs and 10.5% ABV. Murkily un-filtered and mysteriously mixed with some unique grains, malted rye, oats and spelt (a type of wheat, spelled just like that).
Next, we Dry Hopped with experimental varieties HBC366, Australian Galaxy, and its usual Simcoe and Mosaic (which went into last year’s Waldo as HBC369).
Altogether, 2013 Waldos’ Special is super skunky and resinous. Someone likened it to licking your lips after your first hit of a freshie …whatever that means. At approximately 9 pounds per barrel of hops, we’re sure it’s probably a good thing. Cheers to all you treasure hunters!

Has anyone made an attempt at a clone? I’ve scoured the google machine and any of the very limited posts by home brewers is never followed by what it turned into.

Latest posts

Back