You Tell Me Which One to Brew and I Will!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, So Which One?

Results are only viewable after voting.

mkravitz13

Reaction score
A music booking collective here in Burlington, VT (just around the corner from the alchemist cannery -> heady topper) is hosting a big start of summer outdoor cookout/show and I want to brew lots of beer for it!

Hop schedules are identical. Stats are identical. Only difference is the malt bill!

OG=1.056
IBU=51
SRM =7

I'm looking to make a dry, easy drinking pale ale with big hop character, light to medium malt sweetness and a bit more bitterness than general pale ales (like SNPA).

This will be brewed this Wednesday afternoon 4/3/13.

Vote! I will post back with photos and tasting notes in 6 weeks time.

86% 2-row
10% Munich 10L
4% Crystal 40L

Citra @ 60
Amarillo @ 30
Cascade @ 10
Citra & Amarillo @ 0

92% 2-Row
5% Crystal 40L
3% Carapils

Citra @ 60
Amarillo @ 30
Cascade @ 10
Citra & Amarillo @ 0

i voted 1, but i think you should get rid of the 30 min and split it between being a 60 min and a dry hop

90 minute boil
149 F mash

84% 2-row
4% Crystal 40L
4% Munich 10L
4% White Wheat
4% Corn Sugar

Columbus @ 60
Columbus @ 30
Columbus, Citra, & Amarillo @ 0
Columbus, Citra, & Amarillo @ dryhop

90 minute boil
149 F mash

84% 2-row
4% Crystal 40L
4% Munich 10L
4% White Wheat
4% Corn Sugar

Columbus @ 60
Columbus @ 30
Columbus, Citra, & Amarillo @ 0
Columbus, Citra, & Amarillo @ dryhop

Did you intend to recommend ingredients he didn't say he had or are you just tooting your own horn?

Did you intend to recommend ingredients he didn't say he had or are you just tooting your own horn?

hop schedule will stay as is as thats what i gots!

i appreciate the malt bill reworks guys, but just choosing #1 or #2 is prefered here, that is, unless, you have a malt bill that aptly fits the kind of beer im looking to make...

hop schedule will stay as is as thats what i gots!

i appreciate the malt bill reworks guys, but just choosing #1 or #2 is prefered here, that is, unless, you have a malt bill that aptly fits the kind of beer im looking to make...

I think your malt bill is fine for an apa. I just think the amarillo is wasted on the 30 min addition. Too long of a boil to get good flavor and aroma but not long enough to get good bitterness.

Option #3 again :)

Being a rebel and going with what would work better IMO.

I also brewed that beer before and it turned out awesome.

ahhh, postponed this brewday to friday. i put my starter in the fridge tuesday afternoon, im sure it will still be good for friday. keep them votes a coming!

Anyone mind educating me on what you expect the difference to be? I'm thinking the crystal difference is negligible. What would the carapils addition achieve?

Anyone mind educating me on what you expect the difference to be? I'm thinking the crystal difference is negligible. What would the carapils addition achieve?

carapils will add mouthfeel and body to the beer. lots of big brewers who make serious hop-forward pale ales and IPA's use very simple grain bills (sometimes with some dextrose in their for more alcohol and better attenuation) like option #2 to highlight the hops. for this beer, i wanted to leave it up to the masters here on the forum to decide which grain bill would be appropriate based on the description i provided in the original post.

Latest posts

Back