Imperial Stout feedback, high in roasted malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oophaga

Reaction score
So my main concern with this recipe is the high amounts of dark grains, it does have 12 oz of carafa special iii so I am hoping it will simply add color and some flavor without the added harshness. Of course I plan for it to age 6 months to a year. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The dark grains come up to just about 12% with 3.2% being the carafa special. A small dose of crystal malts for added complexity.

OG 1.106
FG 1.025-1.03

BHE: 65% due to large grain bill

17 lbs Pale Malt
2lbs Amber Malt
1lb 4oz Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Oats
12 oz Carafa Special III
8 oz Black Patent
4 oz Caramel 80L
4 oz Carmael 120L
4 Oz Chocolate Malt.

Warrior to bitter. 90 minute boil. 85 IBU.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

Actually, the only thing that jumps out at me as being too much is the amber malt. I don't think you need much more than half a pound for a pronounced flavor, and 1lb would be pushing it. What's the calculated SRM on this batch?

Amber Malt comes from the Stone IRS clone, which is where this recipe's base came from. Beersmith has the srm right at 58.4. I still don't get how Cigar City and such come up with their color calculations, such as 80srm for hunahpu.

Thanks for the comments, Ill look at the results from the stone ris I have in the fermenter now to see how the amber comes through. I was worried about it also.

Amber Malt comes from the Stone IRS clone, which is where this recipe's base came from. Beersmith has the srm right at 58.4. I still don't get how Cigar City and such come up with their color calculations, such as 80srm for hunahpu.

Thanks for the comments, Ill look at the results from the stone ris I have in the fermenter now to see how the amber comes through. I was worried about it also.

Sometimes it seems like a lot on paper, but there's a lot going on in this beer for it to compete with. I'm in the camp that 1/4lb of honey malt isn't nearly enough for honey flavor and a pound is fine, but some people think you'll make beer lollipops if you use 6oz in a 5 gallon batch.

Good point, the honey malt seems to be a very contested grain when it comes to its impact. We'll see I could always change it to vienna/munich or something instead, or just go with more 2-row. I'm waiting to get some tastes of this stone clone to see how in your face it is. I have a few brews til this one, another belgian dark strong and a iipa. I have a bad habit of planning brews far in advanced. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

looks like a solid recipe.

only thing that comes to mind is that the carafa probably isn't needed. between the roasted barley, Black patent, C80, C120 and the chocolate you'll have a very black beer. supposedly carafa adds aroma but i've never noticed it.

either way seems like you're on track for a great beer.

Thanks for the replies! The Carafa is more to help acheive motor oil and a dark head. It is a huge player in the color of head foam. I know its a silly thing to be concerned about, but appearance is at least a third of the experience.

Back