Fringe benefits of your job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a draft beer technician. I install many of the draft systems in Northern California. I also help run the special events department. I have easy access to everything draft and many portable draft beer systems. I also have a lot of access to information as I know many different breweries and their brewers.

doesn't get dirty, works with electronics? sounds more like a white collar mechanic...

Agreed man. I started off working on cars before getting my degree and going another route. I still love working on cars and my best friend is a mechanic (owns his own shop) making more than I ever will as a teacher. A good wrench is invaluable and you guys have access to tons of cool stuff.

I think you're being to hard on yourself.

It's not all that bad, people around here just assume you're stupid or something if you work on cars. I kind of enjoy it, but would rather not do it the rest of my life. Plus after GM started to go under about 7 years ago, no benefits.

I'm a professional paycheck thief, so there's that. I work for a scientific equipment manufacturer, so I get all the free stir bars I can carry and access to tons of free scientific surplus junk I can futz around with on weekends.

I literally don't do anything here but send a couple emails a day and browse HBT and work on stuff for the real brewery for the other 7 hours. I've been here 3 years and my boss thinks I'm doing a great job (3 raises and 3 big xmas bonuses) so you just can't complain. Full medical/dental for me and my wife, too. Awesome.

Well let's see

*I work for a wireless carrier...no I don't work in a cell phone store :). So I have 7 cell phones in my family and a hotspot and with all smartphones unlimited everything I pay $125 a month :)
*I can work from home
*I get 29 days vacation per year plus 8 holidays paid off
*matching 401k
*awesome health/dental/vision package
*and mostly a very stress free job that I get paid VERY well to do!

Music promotion/marketing. Things could be worse than working in a house with thousands of cd's and records as wall decor at your disposal. Apparently the worst thing that can happen is I listen to some amazing albums dozens of times before they get released...other than having to be at work early enough to work with east coast morning people. Everyone has their own definition of success.

raabs said:
Music promotion/marketing. Things could be worse than working in a house with thousands of cd's and records as wall decor at your disposal. Apparently the worst thing that can happen is I listen to some amazing albums dozens of times before they get released...other than having to be at work early enough to work with east coast morning people. Everyone has their own definition of success.

Man I miss those days! I work for a band that got signed back in the '90s, got to spend a ton of time at Trauma and Zoo. I loved having free access to new stuff and free concert tickets.

The environmental consulting company I work for does a lot of groundwater sampling using low flow techniques. There are literally thousands of feet of extra plastic tubing and silicone tubing laying around that gather dust in the warehouse. I've never paid for tubing to transfer finished beer or to make blow off tubes.

28 days personal and vacation time for the year
9 paid holidays
22% off cell phone service
Vested employer accumulating pension
Vested 401k with matching employer contributions
$2000 bonus if we bring in a new high level employee
100% paid college classes if it pertains to furthering our career
I get to play on the internet
Sometimes, we get free breakfast or lunch
I can use the company UPS account to ship beer
Free boxes and stuffing material to pack the beer

Everything else about it sucks though ;) Trust me, the bad outweighs the good. I've become too comfortable to look for another job... But I should!!

Holy crap. I don't even know what alot of that means, I've never been given a benefit in my life. I'm a remodeler, so i make my own schedule. I can take time off as much as i want, but don't make any money if i'm not phsyically working.
I've learned how to plumb, wire, frame, build cabinets, make concrete countertops, make light fixtures and furniture, pour a slab, install tile, install doors and windows, replumb and move a boiler, roof a house, build a deck, etc.
I've been at it for 34 years and made an effort to learn all that i can. So i have alot of variety in my day. Some days i get a really good work out in. Nice to have all the tools i need to build all of my ghetto brewery stuff. And i usually have the widgets and dewhickeys laying around. Can't weld (yet), so ashamed.

I work at a LHBS so I get all brewing related items extremely cheap. Go to beerfests for free, know all the local brewery owners/brewers, and get to make beer at work. I stand around and talk beer/wine making all day with customers and coworkers. I'm also a freelance graphic designer so I work from home for that mostly. It's a crazy unpredictable sort of life but it's fun and exciting. I keep telling my wife I'll eventually grow up...

I work in medical manufacturing doing polymerization and extrusion. I make our proprietary resins from polyoils running all processes up to the point it becomes the tubing used for IV catheters (the piece of tube that goes into your vein).. I'm kinda a Jack of all trades in the department and fix most the equipment when it breaks down.. I've gotten gram scales (three beam and digital) stainless fittings (compression, tri clover ect) electronics (PID's, ss relays etc) desks, shelves, chairs ect.. they do lots of exchanging new equipment for old so I usually get to break down the electrical cabinets for lots of extra parts.. :mug:

Well if you ever need to go rims then being a plumber ain't so bad.

That is one nice thing. I can't complain really. Access to whatever I need material wise and I constantly squirrel away like-new parts from repairs. Things like gas valves, controls, burner assemblies etc. from boilers.

I'm switching careers from being a Methodist preacher (a surprisingly stressful and time consuming job- think 60-85 hours a week, 51 weeks a year if you get assigned to a struggling church) to becoming a public school teacher.

Every time I hear the word "preacher", I think of Son House and/or Derek Trucks... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Budweiser puke smells exactly like Budweiser. It's a little disconcerting, actually..

Kinda like how no matter what you eat at McDonald's all the burps taste the same... Cookie, Big Mac, Fruit and Yogurt, Orange Hi-C.... all the same disgusting burp!

I get to play with critters....Wolves, coyotes, snakes, lizards, tortoises and turtles, birds, rodents, cats, exotics...etc....

I work about 70 hours a week on average... But it does not seem like work when I enjoy what I am doing...

I'm an audio engineer/instructor. I teach at a very established audio school which has 8 studios split between 2 campuses. We have a multitude of amazing microphones, consoles, tape decks, compressors, EQs, etc. I can pretty much book out any studio any time I wish.

Latest posts

Back