Help with BIPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm doing my first BIAB batch this weekend, a black IPA, and it will be a 2.5 gallon batch (about 3.5 gallon boil). To keep costs down a little I was going to stick with two hops, so I bought 2oz each of centennial and cascade. When I got home, I realized I had another 2oz of citra leftover from my last batch, so I might as well throw some in.

Now that I have 2oz each of centennial, cascade, and citra, how would you suggest hopping this half-batch? I'm thinking something like:

0.375 oz - Centennial for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 10.9, IBU: 30.64)
0.25 oz - Cascade for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.3, IBU: 4.93)
0.25 oz - centennial for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 10.9, IBU: 10.14)
0.25 oz - citra for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 10.23)
0.5 oz - Cascade for 2 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 5.3, IBU: 1.68)
0.5 oz - Citra for 2 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 3.49)

for a calculated 61 IBU, and maybe use some of the remaining hops for a two dry hop additions at three days apart. Thoughts?

If it matters, the rest of the recipe is 85% 2 row, 6% each carafa III and crystal 10, and 3% american special roast, and the yeast will be american ale II.

Thanks,
JK

My first IPA turned out bitter but not hoppy. I am removing the long boiled hops altogether when I try it again (hopefully this weekend). I am adding no hops until the 25 minutes mark but using up to 10 oz of hops (Centennial and Amarillo) including the dry hop and a "hopstand", which I've never done before. I had to "up" the amount of hops (from 6 oz in the first attempt) to get the IBU to 55-60 with no early additions but I am expecting a lot more hop flavor than in the first one.

I'm no expert but if my first attempt is any indication of "normal", I think you will get little hop flavor from that schedule. Maybe other more experienced IPA brewers will disagree with me.

As a side note, I got a lot of oxygen into my beer when I racked it to secondary and it is very noticeable in the final product. This time, I am going to strain the trub as I put it into the primary, not use a secondary, and only have the dry hop mess to worry about when racking to the bottle bucket. The trub was the cause of the problem with the oxygen...a stuck siphon.

EDIT: I just realized you are doing a 3.5 gallon batch. My 10 oz and 6 oz hop statements are for a 5 gallon batch.

Definitely dry hop! Citra and Cascade are both good for that. Don't know if there's any advantage to spacing the additions while dry hopping, though, so maybe someone else will answer that now that I'm following the thread.

Thanks for the feedback. In listening to the beer podcasts, I've heard that brewers sometimes space their dry hops a few days apart. They say that studies have indicated that you get the most out of the hops in the first couple of days of dry hopping, so a second (and even third) dry hop will add more aroma than one big dry hop. This might not be as true for the homebrewer's setup as it is for the commercial setup. I just listened to an interview with the brewer of Kern River Citra (double IPA) and he said he does this...it might have even been three or four dry hop additions.

I just dry hopped a light pale ale (thinking of calling it "A Lighter Shade of Pale Ale") with citra and zythos and it's bottle conditioning now, so if I like the way that went I'll use the citra to dry hop. I just like trying different hops and techniques...what's the worst that could happen? I haven't had too many black IPA's though, so I'm just sort of winging it.

John

Latest posts

Back