Remote Dispensing Kegerator ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je5450

Reaction score
So after moving in with SWMBO (getting married in October), I'm trying to get a new kegerator set up. The problem is, my old keezer has too large of a footprint to comfortably fit where I want it, so I'm looking at options for keeping the beer in the basement and pushing to a couple of taps on the first floor. I want to keep the cost as low as possible and I don't really want to mess with a glycol system to keep the lines cold. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

I'm thinking of keeping the kegs in the basement, which stays at about 60 degrees. If I keep the kegs at about 22 PSI, that should keep the beer at about 2.4 volumes of CO2.

I have about a twelve foot rise from the basement, so if I use 1/4" ID lines with a resistance of about .8 PSI/ft, approximately 22 foot lines should be long enough to get the beer to the taps with a proper pour at the end.

I was thinking about using something like a permanent jockey box to chill the beer right before it hits the tap. Basically, a small refrigerator in a cabinet underneath the tap tower would contain a bucket of salt water chilled to somewhere in the low 30-degree range. A copper coil would go in here, and hopefully chill the beer to the mid 40-degree range. I figure I can have about 10 feet worth of copper line here (assuming I have about 12 foot of beer line from the keg to the chiller, then 10 foot in the chiller gets me to the 22 foot total I am allowed based on line resistance and pressure).

Does anyone see any obvious reasons why this wouldn't work or anything I haven't accounted for?

I confess I haven't read of anyone actually pulling off that particular solution, but it sounds like a viable concept.

One thing to keep in mind is that the resistance ratings for tubing you find in virtually every on-line calculator are misleading (I could say they're just plain incorrect given the "home dispensing system" context) so keep that in mind when you lay in your flexible tubing. You may need it to be considerably longer - or you may find a better solution will be to add a 3 to 4 foot 3/16" ID choker just before the faucet shanks.

The first pour will be interesting, that's for sure...

Cheers!

Back