Prague and Munich - Advice/Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantalus

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to the community.

I'm traveling through Europe and I'm going to be in Prague for three days and Munich for around one and a half. Looking for some great spots for local, tasty beer that I can visit in that limited time period. Also I'm traveling on a budget, so transportation and/or prices are a definite factor.

Thanks again, can't wait to finally see these legendary brewing cities.

In Prague the monastery ( or abbey?) up by the palace is the oldest brewery in operation around there and if the weather is nice the courtyard is a nice place to enjoy a beer and a cheese plate(also made there as I recall). Basically, whatever beer is on the awning of the bar is the brand they serve, I can't say I was at any particular place that was a must visit with regards to beer.

Prague is very easy to get around by foot, the public transportation is good too. One important thing to know is those pretzels on the table aren't free. The price is on the bottom of the stand.

When we were in Munich the hofbrau haus was apparently the place to be. The upstairs was touristy dinner and show atmosphere. The downstairs was apparently locals. We had our meal upstairs. I wasn't impressed I'd rather have been downstairs with locals. We were on a trip itinerary so we went upstairs. Hindsight wish I would have went downstairs anyway and found my own way back to hotel. The food was good but would've rather had the local experience as apposed to the tourist experience. Stepped outside for a smoke after dinner missed the floor dancers. Apparently the highlight of the night. Again would've rather been having a few (less than at home. Pretty large mugs compared to US pints) with the locals than the dinner floor show I missed anyway.

U Fleku in Prague is great. They serve a dark lager that I can still remember perfectly. Something you can and should drink all night long.

Hofbrauhaus is touristy, but if you've never been there, it's worth going once. After drinking the obligatory Mass of bier, you can go across the street to Ayinger. For a more local flavor, go to the Augustinerkeller.

More info can be found here: http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/munipubs.htm#augkell

I've never been to Prague but U Fleku is on my bucket list after seeing it in Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter videos.

I grew up in Munich and yeah +1 to the previous posts.
In the inner city Hofbrauhaus is a must (it's very touristy tho, but that might also be its appeal). But Augustinerkeller or any of the other beer-halls are just as good, but less busy (beer is usually better than Hofbrau too). If you are there in summer or on a warm day in Spring/Fall, make your way to the English garden and their beer-garden next to the Chinese tower... One of the reasons I still get homesick.

For a bit more of a day-trip, get on the train and go to the Andechs Abbey (http://www.destination-munich.com/kloster-andechs.html) Its a great walk and you will be rewarded with some even greater beer.

Alternatively, Lake Tegernsee just south of Munich is a beautiful spot and the Tegernseer Brauhaus offers an amazing Dortmunder/Export.

Enjoy the trip!

+1 for the Augustiner Keller. That's if you want to drink the best beer in the world. Sitting outside under the chestnut trees is something special. Hofbrau house is a place you have to go. If you have a car or I think you can take a train, is Andechs. An amazing monastery with some very good beer. It's about 30 minutes outside of Munich.

As for Prague, I would agree( even though some might not) Ufleku was pretty good. Pretty touristy, but glad I went. Also, and I might of liked this place a little better is U Mediviku. Make sure you go to the back, up stairs. The brewery is there. I was talking with the brewer as he was making a batch. Have a great time. I'll be in Munich next year...It's a blast.

Take the train from Munich to Freising and go to weihenstepher. Their schzitel is awesome. There is a local brewery,resturant in town that is great too. Think the name had rabbit or fox in it.

If you like Hefeweizen go to the Weissesbrauhaus in Munich. It is the home of Schneiderweisse. Start with original and then get the Aventinus Weissbock. The mixed salad with potatoes and schweinhaxe is ridiculously good too. Also second Augustinerbrau as worlds best. Hit their outdoor biergarten for sure.
In Prague, stretch out your neck muscles each morning because the women watching will give you whiplash. Enjoy the Pilsners, but don't skip the dark stuff. I am jealous!

I like to visit the small villages outside of Munich. Here's where you find the best Bavarian beer. Go about 70 miles north on the A93 to Regensburg. They have the best food and beer right on the oldest river in Europe. Plenty of brew houses and a lot of history. My parent company is in Weiden which is another 30 miles north. You can find plenty of zogol(sp) and weissbeir around. Also, the hops growing on the autoban will make you friggin drool. Biggest and tallest I've ever seen. The best thing about Germany is there really isn't any bad beer or food. Enjoy!

Don't leave Munich without having had Augustiner. If it's warm and sunny, grab a few bottles, go to the Englischer Garten and watch the surfers on the Eisbach while sipping a few cold ones. Don't sit inside all the time when you're in a place where alcohol in public is legal and common!

Ennstaler Stubn will serve you a big Vienna Schnitzel. Don't order the XXL unless you haven't eaten in two days.

In Prague the monastery ( or abbey?) up by the palace is the oldest brewery in operation around there and if the weather is nice the courtyard is a nice place to enjoy a beer and a cheese plate(also made there as I recall).

That place was very good.

If you have a desire to stretch your legs and get some fresh air while in Munich, they have a great public park called the English Garden.

Within the English Garden is a nice public beer garden. On Sundays they have brass bands, with excellent food and of course, great beer. All in an open air venue, and like most everything else in Munich, clean and well done.

Take the train from Munich to Freising and go to weihenstepher. Their schzitel is awesome. There is a local brewery,resturant in town that is great too. Think the name had rabbit or fox in it.

Good call. Their beer tour is excellent.. I think it was like 10 bucks. Oldest operating brewery in the world from 1040. Freising is a beautiful area.

Unless I disremember, when taking the train from Prague to Munich, one of the stops is Plzen...Pilzen...Pilsen...Pilsener...Pilsner -- see what i did there?

Has anyone travelled from Prague to Croatia? Any must-see stops along the way? Wee will be there in Sept-Oct.

If you're going to Prague, I HIGHLY recommend going to Jama. Great selection of beers and the food is top notch.

Had a great time there for a friends stag weekend.

Orest said:
Has anyone travelled from Prague to Croatia? Any must-see stops along the way? Wee will be there in Sept-Oct.

Not sure where in Croatia you are headed, but plivitce national park is a must see. It's a unesco protected sight with several thousand waterfalls. Power through the early stages to get ahead of the tour bus groups then relax and take it in.

Beer of choice for me in Croatia is Ozujsko. I'd try to spell it phonetically for you but I don't think I could do it. On my first night in Zagreb my waiter wouldn't serve me until I got it right. Kitchens seem to stop serving at nine around there, so don't wait too long to eat or plan on pizza (one of our best meals there).

In Split go to the bar that is Diocletian's old palace. Sit on the steps and listen to the live music, waiters will bring more Ozujsko

Hvar there is a wine bar called Trios that is very cool.

Korcula go to the bar on the roof of the castle remains. You have to climb up this sketchy looking ladder to get there and your drinks come up in a dumb waiter on the side of the building. It's very cool.

Dubrovnik there is a restaurant right on the water, the view was excellent.

Latest posts

Back