Got bored.. made a stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brotan1x

Reaction score
Yes this is yet another stirplate.. (but hey I'm proud) This is my first post on here so here goes.. Forgive me for being a n00b

Being an IT guy I've had most of the parts for building this in an old dusty box under my work bench.... Hard Drives, PC Fans.. ample amounts of power cords.. All I really lacked was a rheostat (which I got from Radio Shack..) I started out trying to balance the top of a cd case on top of some screws..That sucked... But then I realized I just need a box small enough to fit the 80mm PC Fan in... Thank you Linksys for being so accommodating.

Note to all folks these Linksys enclosures are made out of some plastic that does not bond well with Krazy glue.. In fact it actually reacts and starts to melt the plastic.. So Hot glue is my new friend...

enjoy my 40 seconds..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just threw together a stirplate out of spair computer parts as well, but I have to say this is one of best uses I have ever seen for one of those old routers

That's pretty awesome. I made two stirplates out of computer fans but I'm still thinking how I want to enclose them. I like your idea.

It took me a while to find something to enclose mine in, I ended up using a container from some decking screws.

ForumRunner_20130517_112146.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys....I'm probably going to add a power switch and a resistor to it so I can slow it down more... At this point I can only turn the knob about 20% ...anymore and the stirbar is thrown..
Thanks again!

I know you used parts you had lying around, which is awesome, but the great thing about these USB fans (what I used) is that they have a built in speed control and I used a USB plug with an on/off switch, so now I have on/off and speed control. Here's a picture of 2 of them though you can't really see the stir plates, but you can see the USB adapter with the on/off switches and you can see the speed control on the one on the right side.

fm92y4J.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is ingenuity for sure... Never underestimate the imagination of a homebrewer! LOL!

Remove the airlock! Loosely capped foil is your friend!

Will do/did, I found Kai's blog the other day and changed it up. The sad thing is I managed knock over and shatter that starter so now I'm waiting on new yeast :(

Back