GF wort tastes like hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLosey

Reaction score
Well guys, I am at a real loss here. I brewed up a GF with a similar recipe to McGee's.....it is about 2-3 weeks fermenting, just checked the gravity
(1.010) and took a swig......Egads, it is SO sharp, almost like hard cider....In fact it has gotten sharper as time has gone on, not smoother.What the hell happened and more importantly, is there any way to make it "beer" now?? Thoughts and ideas welcome!!

Can you post the exact recipe? Some sorghum syrups have a sort of green apple like taste to me. Yeast can also produce some very interesting bi-products. Its could also be acetobactor. How does it smell?

Any info you can provide on the process, ferment, or taste/smell can help.

1 lb buckwheat
1/2 lb millet
1 lb rice extract
3 lb sorghum
1 lb d-45
4 oz maltodextrin
1 lb soft candi sugar
safale S-04
1.5 oz tettinger
.5 oz tettinger

It has been in fermenter actually about 1 month now. It didn't taste bad about 2 weeks ago but it now has a really sharp, sweet tang to it. It has always smelled really alcoholic. I didn't use secondary (which I usually do) so wonder if having it on the yeast cake was a mistake? I am uncertain what, if anything I can do to make it more beer like now...not into the hard ciders.

Idk about yeast but I know that sorghum has a twang to it that some people find offputting, especially if you do it early in the boil. It took 4 weeks in the bottle for my last sorghum based ale to mellow out. I can't remember if tettninger hops is citrusy or not but that might have added to that harshness.

Tett is German and kinda spicy. Buckwheat adds a nutty/ earthiness. Millet can add a slight sourness or barnyard taste.

If the gravity hasn't fallen after a few days, its most likely not infected. Not much you can do to it at this point. Bottle it and see what happens.

If you can, grab a redbridge or other GF beer and see if you can recognize the taste in one of those. Hopefully it works out and is drinkable.

Are those grains all steeped or what? If so your fermentables are just 1# rice extract, 3# sorghum, 1# d45 and 1# soft candi. I would actually expect all that grain to balance the dryness of all that sugar pretty well, but sorghum is about half your fermentable sugar so expect that sorghum flavor to come through. Rack it to secondary for another month and see what happens. I think homebrewers in general tend to lack the patience to really get the most out of brews; I usually do 2-4 weeks in primary and 4-8 weeks in secondary.

Meunch, when do you do a gravity test for fg? After primary? Secondary?

Fermentation should always be done before transfer to a secondary. I would check fg after primary AND after secondary. The reason being, if you pick up a bug you might be able to head it off.

Say you take a sample and the gravity stays constant over 3 or 4 days. You transfer to a secondary. After 2 weeks in the secondary, the FG drops another 2-3 points. Either fermentation has started again (it happens) or you are infected.

After that it is a little annoying what you might have to do.

Thanks all...I did in fact move it to a secondary as a last ditch.....a week in and it tastes less like hard cider.....If it was acetobactor I assume it just would have continued to get worse or stay the same but not get a little better, right? I am just going to leave it be for a while and see what becomes of it. The gravity seems very low to me (under 1.010) I can never get my regular HB's under the dreaded 1.020 so it seems low.ha! Unfortunatley my hydrometer took a spill onto my tile floor during the brew process so I couldn't get an OG on this beer.

Back