Hop amount and schedule for SMaSH IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GurraG

Reaction score
I am planning a British style SMaSH IPA made with Maris Otter and East Kent Golding (6% AA).

I am doing a 15 liter batch with a estimated OG of 1.056. I a not sure about the amount of hops and the hop schedule, though. What do you think of 20 grams @ 60, 30, 15 and 5 minutes (60 min boil)?

This will be my first batch, so I don't really know what flavour profile I want, but I am generally not a fan of super hoppy beer.

This will be more of a pale ale than an IPA. I've used almost that identical hop schedule before for this exact smash. This will yield a pretty solid english style bitter, depending on your yeast choice. If you're trying to get a feel for EKG and MO this combo is solid. Slightly bready, earthy and very drinkable. I'd leave as is and brew away!

Just a quick adjustment... Double the 60min addition and move the 30->10, 15->5, 5->0 (flameout). That will give you the most out of your hops as far as flavor and aroma go with a fair amount of bitterness to balance everything out.
If you dropped 15gm from the 60m addition you'd have a nice English bitter.
Leave them as stated for a true English IPA.
And I recommend using a British yeast. S-04 is my favorite.

Back