Bottling day mis-hap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdozer

Reaction score
I started bottling day last night. Added priming sugar to cold crashed beer in bottling bucket. Some how I had dropped my bottling wand on the concrete and managed to step on it and break it in half. It made the crunch that your heard in every movie where a kid steps on his glasses. Lhbs is closed at this time and I will be working 16 hour shifts until the weekend. I currently have the bottling bucket sealed and back in my temp controlled chest freezer at 34F.
Should i bottle like normal this weekend when I get a new wand, maybe give the beer a little stir?

Or should I raise the temp and let the priming sugar ferment out and try again?

Note to self: you need to buy two of everything

If you cooled it down to 34, you likely put the yeast to sleep and I would imagine there is not much risk to it fermenting alot of the sugar back out. I would give it a gentle stir to make sure that you are even distributed. Worst case, you may just have to wait 4-6 weeks for it to fully carb up.

You should be ok, may be a little undercarbed but you should be fine. If something like this happens again in the future, you could always rig up a bottling wand of your own with a section of tubing and some way to pinch it shut to stop the flow manually like strong binder clips, etc. Displacement should be pretty comparable and make bottling only a little bit more of a PITA.

Nothing is more annoying than breaking the one piece that you need. but then again necessity likes to give birth to invention and nothing beats a McGuyver rig job in a pinch.

Just a quick update for posterity. I ended up leaving the bottling bucket 3 more weeks at 34 degrees before bottling. Every bottle in the first case came out perfect carb. On to the second case tonight.

Back