Extract Saison Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostinasuprmrkt

Reaction score
So I will be doing my first extract batch from my own recipe soon, and since its nice and hot here in Southern California I thought a Belgian Style Saison would be perfect. Please let me know what you think of my recipe and if there are any conflicting ingredients or something that might add to the depth of flavor here. If this turns out well I might do a second batch next year with some pineapple puree.

Fermentables:
3lb Pale LME
3lb Wheat LME

Hops:
60 min: 1oz Nugget
5 min: 1oz Saaz

Yeast:
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

I was considering maybe doing specialty grains/adjuncts but I thought against it in order to really get an idea of what the 3724 brings to the table. Thoughts?

You might want to calculate your IBUs just to see how the balance will play out. 3724 will attenuate well and a low FG can make a moderate bitter seem much more so. I don't know what aa your nugget is but it's worth investigating ahead of time. The only other thing to consider is ferm temp... Hot is good but fluctuation is not. So, if you don't have a chamber, you might think about how you can keep things from cooling off at night.

Back