anyone call BS on this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy that part either.

One could certainly make beer, remove the alcohol and water, separate them, soak hops in the alcohol and add it back to the concentrated residue from the vacuum distillation and put that in a bottle for sale. If you added selzer water to that you'd have a fizzy, hopped malt beverage but I can't imagine it would taste very much like beer.

A few other questions come to mind:

If it is a 10:1 concentration it would have to be about 100 proof. What does the TTB have to say about that?

Where does one get selzer water in the woods (CO2 cartriges perhaps?)

How does one get it cold (mountain streams maybe?)

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing when my buddy showed me that issue a little while ago. Seems like nothing but clever marketing.

If you read closely they say that they add the syrup in place of the water so they are starting over so more malt and more yeast( which would have been destroyed when distilled)
beer espresso shots:D

I cant get my head around it! But than again I have yet to figure out how Icehouse brews "ice brewed below freezing" are the brewers working in a freezer while they boil wort? or do they have a brewery under a frozen lake?

I remember reading this a while ago. Honestly if you're THAT desperate for a beer on a backcountry hike just pack some in, beer is water, or if you just wanna drink do the smart thing and pack in a BPA-free container full of rum, vodka, whiskey etc.(or a couple plastic pints, if you're feelin classy. Small, lightweight, easy to find places to stash them in your pack). Then you have a multi-purpose beverage e.g. sterilizing wounds/first aid supplies in an emergency. It seems like it would be even more of a PITA to pack in that weird little bottle, cups or glasses, and the concentrate. Or just drink the syrup I guess, though it'd probably be pretty vile either way. Can't say I've had cold water on anything more than a day hike or camping trip which involves less hiking and more sittin around a fire gettin tanked.

I get it.
Step 1: water & malt, ferment, distill
Step 2: syrup & malt, ferment, distill
Step 3: syrup & malt, ferment, distill
Step 4: syrup & malt, ferment, distill
Step 5: distillate + syrup + hop tea go into a pouch
Step 6: add carbonated water

Either way, your packing beer or carbonated water. I don't get what is being saved.

Oh, and that just sounds like a nasty-ass concoction.

I call Bull Shot!!!!! Pop Sci must have been hard up for a column that month...

Wheelchair Bob

I saw this on HuffPo today. Makes sense, and I'd be interested in trying one. But carrying a soda siphon on a trip? Bourbon is the appropriate drink for the wilderness.

It's an interesting idea and with the carbonating bottle you wouldn't have to pack water in, you would fill it with your sterile water filter or with water that had been boiled and then cooled as you would normally do to get water when backpacking. However, it really does sound like it wouldn't taste very good after all that processing...then again everything tastes better when you're camping right?

I think I would still rather just pack in a six pack of a good beer in cans. Here in Portland Oregon there is a brewery called Basecamp Brewing that brews light, more refreshing beers and packages them in a tall aluminum bottle. I still think the traditional can is a better idea though because you can crush them afterwards so they take up less pack space.

There is additional information and an early review here:

http://www.gizmag.com/pats-pocket-sized-beer-concentrate/28590/

"Beer flavored sparkling water" was the term that was used to describe it.

The article also mentions that the inventor is communicating with "major players in the industry" to see if the concept could be scaled up to revolutionize beer transport. Concentrated beer would be shipped and mixed at the point of sale, just like soda. I don't think that will take off, although BMC might go along with it, to go with their vortex bottles, punch-top cans, and color changing labels.

Hm, interesting...interesting. I have a device I use to take beer camping, too :
vintage_colemancooler.jpg

Um, I am pretty sure there is already concentrated beer on the market, this stuff works great, especially around a campfire. Easy to backpack in, assuming you put in plastic bladder or container, if you really want you can add soda water to it too.

images

Latest posts

Back