help with a recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well_bucket_brews

Reaction score
hey guys,
im hoping to make a belgian white(or something close). here are the ingredients i have, but there are some gaps in the instructions and i am hoping some of the veterans here can help out a new brewer.

5 lbs wheat LME
1.0 lb white wheat malt (grains)
1.25 lb belgian pilsner (grains)
0.5 lb flaked wheat
1.00 oz cascade hops (.5 @ 30 min., .5 @ 5 min.)
.5 oz coriander seed (10 min.)
.5 oz orange peel (10 min.)
white labs WLP300 hefe ale yeast
OG - 1.048 FG - 1.010

when should i put in the LME?
what do i do with the grains and flaked wheat? i dont have a mash tun or a second stock pot, i do have a muslin bag though..
should i add or alter the recipe at all?

thanks!!

Looks like a partial mash. You won't need a mash tun or a second stock pot but will want a bigger grain sack (want the grains to float loose). Someone with better experience than I can tell you what to do but basically put the grain in a loose sack and a gallon and a half to two gallons of water and maintain a steady temperature of 152 degrees for an hour. Raise to 170 and let sit ten minutes. Dunk squeeze and strain. Read up on partial mashes.

Then do you boil as normal. You can add the LME at flameout if you wish (or you can do it at the start of the boil).

That's how it looks to me. Someone more experienced with partial mashes (I've never done one) can probably give you better advice.

You can put the LME in whenever, a lot of folks put it in during the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I agree with woozy, if it was me i'd just crush the grains and put them in 152 degree water for about an hour. Lift the grain out and just pour 170 degree water over the bag to rinse them a bit. Use two muslin bags since almost 3lbs would be too much for 1 bag. I might replace the pilsner with Belgian or American 2-row and add 4-8 ounces of clear candi sugar which would fit more of a Belgian profile.

I might swap out the Cascade for Hallertau or a strain similar to that. Cascade is not typically Belgian, but it's not really a big deal. If you're using fresh orange peel I'd use an ounce, usually those recipes use curaco bitter orange peel which is a bit stronger.

hey guys,
im hoping to make a belgian white(or something close). here are the ingredients i have, but there are some gaps in the instructions and i am hoping some of the veterans here can help out a new brewer.

5 lbs wheat LME
1.0 lb white wheat malt (grains)
1.25 lb belgian pilsner (grains)
0.5 lb flaked wheat
1.00 oz cascade hops (.5 @ 30 min., .5 @ 5 min.)
.5 oz coriander seed (10 min.)
.5 oz orange peel (10 min.)
white labs WLP300 hefe ale yeast
OG - 1.048 FG - 1.010

when should i put in the LME?
what do i do with the grains and flaked wheat? i dont have a mash tun or a second stock pot, i do have a muslin bag though..
should i add or alter the recipe at all?

thanks!!

Just my opinion but I'd ditch the pilsner grain and flaked wheat. You can buy a 50/50 mix of pilsen/wheat DME. You could use the 50/50 mix to get the wheat percentage and make up the rest with the lme. Also cascade isn't typically used in belgian white beers and I'd toss it in @ 60 min instead of 30 min. Typically any noble hop will do but its your beer and if that's what you like, go for it!

Back