Cream Ale Recipe in Development

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmyg316

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I want to get into cream ales. I been poking around, reading bits here and there, and and formulating a first attempt, after which I will refine into perfection. I am considering an extract with grain kind of build, but honestly I have no idea what effect all extract/all grain/mixed has on the final product of beers. For grains, I gather that 6-row and flaked corn are common place, but I would like to also use biscuit malt. Other fermentables I'm considering now are wheat, honey malt, and two-row barley.

wheat is being considered for the effects on head retention and mouth feel. I'm a bit worried about how hazy it could make the beer, I use Irish moss to clear beer and have no filtering capability.

I have honey malt on hand and just think it would compliment a nice bright malty beer.

2-row is up because I've seen it mentioned, but I'm not sure what the difference is between it and 6-row.

I'm not sure what extracts to use if any. Some idea of how much grain and how much malt to use for a 23L (5gal) batch would be helpful.

I'm not too keen on hops for this, but have read that saaz hops are mild and would be good.

Back