What is this stuff - liquid brew enhancer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
So I am brewing for the first time with a 10 gallon mash tun and kettle out in the garage. (yippy :mug:)

I undershot my preboil gravity by a bit- 1.035 vs 1.042 and was going to add a little DME to compensate. I was digging through my stuff and found this, liquid brewing enhancer. I got it February when Brew Demon did that special where you had to cut up a LBK.

Anyway, the ingredients say "maize starch and water". It adds ABV and body according to the label.

Is this basically canned sugar? Would it be better to add this or the DME?

Quick response would be good. I'm boiling now. :drunk:

I didnt add the Brew Enhancer. I added 1/2lb of DME and a couple of ounces of honey and hit 1.046 og, which is what beersmith had for my estimated.

So I am brewing for the first time with a 10 gallon mash tun and kettle out in the garage. (yippy :mug:)

I undershot my preboil gravity by a bit- 1.035 vs 1.042 and was going to add a little DME to compensate. I was digging through my stuff and found this, liquid brewing enhancer. I got it February when Brew Demon did that special where you had to cut up a LBK.

Anyway, the ingredients say "maize starch and water". It adds ABV and body according to the label.

Is this basically canned sugar? Would it be better to add this or the DME?

Quick response would be good. I'm boiling now. :drunk:

The short answer is to do as you did and add DME rather than the "enhancer".

Brew enhancers add fermentables and/or body. With maize, starch and water it is at best going to add some body.

A "better" brew enhancer (if one can call a mix of sugars n starches and enahncer) contains DME and glucose or corn sugar. Some of them could even have finely crushed speciality grains or extracts in them. I know of some that also contain hops suited to a certain style of beer.

I used the parenthesis on better because using bags of pre-mixed "stuff" in ones beer is a complete and separate discussion on it's own.

Def just liquid sugar,like glucose or the like. Cooper's makes a brew enhancer 2 that has dextrose,maltodextrin & light DME in it. Even that would be better than just liquid sugar to me. but it depends on if you want it malty or drier. If maltier then just add some more extract,like plain DME.

Back