Diacetly rest for white lab sanfrancisco yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnubrewer

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently fermenting a prima pils clone with white lab sanfrancisco yeast. Ferment temp at 60 degrees in primary 10 days. I just moved it into secondary and tasted the beer. It has a slight sweet taste to it. I was wandering if I need to give it a rest. What temp i need to raise it up to and how long? Thanks.

Diacetyl is buttery, do you taste that? A d-rest is usually done at ~60-65 when the beer is about 80% finished (~1.020-1.016) until fg is reached.

ColoHox said:
Diacetyl is buttery, do you taste that? A d-rest is usually done at ~60-65 when the beer is about 80% finished (~1.020-1.016) until fg is reached.

I would call it butterscotch/fruity flavor. My gravity reading is around 1.016-18. So would you raise temp up 10 degree higher for 24-48 hours? Have you use sanfrancisco yeast before?

I have used san fran before but have not made this particular beer. 60 is a little warm for a lager but I know san fran can handle a bit wider (warmer) temp range. You might try bumping the temp up to about 65 or so until the beer has fermented out.

Diacetyl does not go away in lagering, it usually becomes more apparent, so get rid of it now if you can. 60 degrees can be used as a d-rest for some lagers, depending on primary temps, so it's kind of surprising you have a lot of diacetyl.

Back