Berliner weisse with rye malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdoc

Reaction score
Berliner roggenweisse????
So, I ran out of pale malt and it has been a couple weeks since I brewed anything, so I brewed something different...
I (sour)mashed 60% wheat and 40% rye malt, was a very sticky mash despite the 7 handfulls or so off rice hulls I added. Other than that the day went smoothly. I have never used this much rye (40%) in a beer before, and it really smelled and tasted of rye. I am looking forward to tasting the finnished product.
Has anyone else tried a sour with rye? Seemed like an interesting idea.

Sounds like a potentially great idea! After having tried Sour in the Rye and Rugbrod from The Bruery (I loved both of those beers), I've been thinking about trying rye with a lot of different styles as an experimentation. Berliner Weisse sounds like it may be a good one.

Were you just trying to see if you could not use any barley malt at all? 40% rye sounds like it might be excessive. Hope to see updates soon.

Sounds like a potentially great idea! After having tried Sour in the Rye and Rugbrod from The Bruery (I loved both of those beers), I've been thinking about trying rye with a lot of different styles as an experimentation. Berliner Weisse sounds like it may be a good one.

Were you just trying to see if you could not use any barley malt at all? 40% rye sounds like it might be excessive. Hope to see updates soon.

http://www.thebruery.com/beers/specialcollection.html

"We brewed this ale with around 40% rye as a base malt and let our sour yeast and bacteria eat away at it in oak barrels for over a year creating a sour ale with a complex character of rye spice, oak and a subtle funk.

ABV: 8.7%,Release: Annual, Limited"

Sweet... I was planning to do this for my 2nd BWß and haven't gotten to it yet (I'm behind in brewing overall). I'm interested in how it comes out.

So, the Berliner Roggen Weisse is all bottled and carbed up. I went to 3.1 volumes. It is definitely effervescent. The main difference between this Berliner Weisse and ones I have made in the past with out rye malt is the color. The rye malt seems to have brought a more yellowish and slightly orange hue. I have always had my Berliners come out as some kind of dishwater grey, until they clarify and then they are the lightest color of yellow.
It also tastes a little different. A little sweeter. At 50 percent of the total grist, I can taste the rye, but it is not too strong flavored like some other rye beers that I have drank in the past.
I did not sour mash for as long as I have before. The sour flavor has always been kind of overwhelming, and after the second or third pint, I could feel my teeth starting to melt... This one is definitely not as sour as the others. I don't know if the shorter sour mash is what made it taste sweeter, or if it is the addition of rye malt.
Overall, this came out exactly as I wanted it, not too sour or sweet, not dirty dishwater grey, and the rye malt adds a little complexity to a mild and drinkable beer.
Cheers

Here it is...

P5160291.jpg

Nice!

I've got a pretty cool Flanders Red fermenting in my basement with about 11% flaked rye- it's about six months old and I'll be adding blackberries this July.

I think rye is really interesting in sour beers.

Love to see this discussion continuing.

I was waiting for some fresh berries to be available before I bottled, but they seemed to be taking forever. I will be making a Strawberry Berliner Weisse this summer. Also, there may be blackberry, raspberry, bluebery, if I have the time.

I am thinking 2 pound of berries per gallon?

Back