Stuck APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I've got an APA that seems to be stuck at 1.020 after 3rd week. Taken 3 readings in as many days. I'd hate to think this ones done. Below is the recipe. Done on beersmith. Took this pic with my iPhone, sorry. My OG was 1.051.

image-2798511406.jpg

Your not that far off. Did you oxygenate your wort and add nutrients for the yeast? That can make a big difference in getting those final numbers. Also, about how much yeast did you pitch? Was it just the one package? I don't work with US-05, or any dry yeast for that reason, so I am not sure how many viable yeast cells are in the normal package of US-05. Normally, I need a starter with all my beers when using liquid yeast. Usually when your gravity is a bit short it falls into the yeast not being happy with O2 and Nutrients or not enough yeast being pitched.

You could raise the temp up if you haven't already and see if the yeast pick up again but I doubt it will, The program possibly didn't account for the carapils or the fermentablility of the extract you used differed from what was programed. You wouldn't want to make a starter for dry yeast. And you have about the right pitching rate if you rehydrated it properly

buzbey said:
You could raise the temp up if you haven't already and see if the yeast pick up again but I doubt it will, The program possibly didn't account for the carapils or the fermentablility of the extract you used differed from what was programed. You wouldn't want to make a starter for dry yeast. And you have about the right pitching rate if you rehydrated it properly

I slowly raised the temp for the last five days , 2 deg. per day to 71 deg. ambient. That's where I'm at now. Gonna dry hop in two days wait a week, cold crash and bottle.

As long as you hit your volumes, your OG will be what the software says it is. You can get stratification in the wort pre-fermentation if you top up with water.

Back