1 gallon growler on stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
Well, im about to scoop up a stir plate and was curious if anyone has had any luck with using growers, or if the bottom being slightly convex will mess me up. Im gonna get a 2l flask, but didnt want to have to drop huge dollars for a bigger one also if the growler will suffice.
As always thanks for any insight.
RonJon

Using a growler will be fine. You may need to purchase a different stir bar though. They sell bars that are shaped similar to a barbell that are meant for jars or other vessels that have a convex bottom. Are you building a stir plate? Or purchasing one?

I use one for 2l starters it work fine. I can't get it going quite as fast as I'd like to because I only have a 1" bar at the moment which likes to spin off due to the shape of the bottom but a different bar would probably work much better

I was going to buy the stir starter one, and then get bars from amazon. Alreqdy have enough projects for right now.

My stirbar always jumped off the magnet when in a growler so I bought a couple 2L erlenmeyer flasks on Amazon. Though they were only $16 when I bought them. The stirbar stayed stirring for 2 days.

Using a growler will be fine. You may need to purchase a different stir bar though. They sell bars that are shaped similar to a barbell that are meant for jars or other vessels that have a convex bottom. Are you building a stir plate? Or purchasing one?
I didn't know that. Do you have a link for those?

Last edited by a moderator:
My stirbar always jumped off the magnet when in a growler so I bought a couple 2L erlenmeyer flasks on Amazon. Though they were only $16 when I bought them. The stirbar stayed stirring for 2 days.

I didn't know that. Do you have a link for those?

Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stir-55x8-Barbell-Stirbar/dp/B007PJN4IE

You can get them in varying lengths, and diameters of the outer rings. But if you see how expensive they are, you probably will offset your savings on the flask, with the price of this bar. So it's up to you as to which road you want to go. you can find cheaper "Flat" stir bars on eBay. I saw a listing that was selling ten of them of various lengths, for the same price as single barbell one I linked to earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a 1G wine jug, and my stir bar from stir starters didn't spin off. I have also heard of using o-rings at both ends of the stir bar, but never tried it.

Latest posts

Back