Beer and Food Pairing Dinner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Friday, we had friends over for a beer and food pairing dinner. Each couple brought a handmade beer and I chose a menu to pair with those beers.

Pilsner - appetizers while we gathered, smoked salmon and proscuitto with crackers, pico de gallo and locally-made tortilla chips;

Belgian Golden Strong Ale - salad with citrus and lemon vinaigrette

IIPA - grilled ribeye, potato and leek gratin, roasted brussel sprouts with smoked pork and onions

Saison with brett - cheese course

Barrel-Aged Old Ale - brownies

I put up a longer write-up and fuller explanation on my blog at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/The-Blog.html?entry=food-and-handmade-beer-pairings

Oh, my, goodness!

I read that to Bob and we are both drooling. That sounds amazingly good, both the food choices and the beer pairings!

I saw on Facebook that you had 10 couples over? So a total of dinner/pairings for 12? That sounds like great fun (and a tremendous amount of work!!!!!).

Oh, my, goodness!

I read that to Bob and we are both drooling. That sounds amazingly good, both the food choices and the beer pairings!

I saw on Facebook that you had 10 couples over? So a total of dinner/pairings for 12? That sounds like great fun (and a tremendous amount of work!!!!!).

There were a total of 10 of us and it was a lot of work - I took the day off. When I went to turn on the oven that afternoon, it didn't work! I only had a couple of items that needed to be in the oven, so I used the church's ovens. The real issue was how I was going to keep things warm - so I brought my big cooler into the kitchen, preheated it with hot water, then put in a juice bottle filled with hot water and then the food. Worked great!

Food, friends, great beer and conversation, it was a fun evening!

I did something similar last winter with 10 guys. The true justification was that none of us could afford a whole bottle of Utopias so we made it an evening.
Barleywine with bacon and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms
Porter with filet mignon entree
Dragons Milk with coffee and vanilla bean ice cream
Utopias to end the night

It's amazing how well food and beers can pair together. But it takes a true friend to put together pairings for that many different beers, and homebrews at that. Kudos!!

I'm in the process of planning this with my impossible to plan with siblings.

What we're going to do is everyone makes a course and I'll pair it. Since it will happen in the summer I'll probably have my beers planned out

App - Probably will be a light belgian, either a Saison or Wheat
Entree - Unless we're pigs about drinking it will be our IPA homebrew, if not then who knows.
Dessert - probably will be a quad or a stout. I'm a big fan of building up your strength levels as the night goes on.

Back