Can rinsing iodophor with untreated water containing chlorine effect flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxyaardvark

Reaction score
I use iodophor to sanitize at 12.5-20ppm to sanitize. I know it says its a no-rinse but i can't bring myself to not rinse my equipment. If I don't let the equipment dry, could trace amounts of chlorine and chloramine be getting into my beer from the rinsing and creating phenolic and medicinal flavors? All of my lighter beers seem to be getting a bitter phenolic after taste to them. I don't notice it on the darker beers I make.

That’s an interesting question. I wish I knew the answer. My guess is yes.

We had a thread a while back where the only variable left was the chloramine in the tapwater of the Star-San. We didn’t get an answer back, but generally when the OP quits posting, they fixed their problem.

The taste threshold for chlorophenols is a few ppb, so it’s possible.

I recommend switching to Star-San mixed with either RO or distilled and quit rinsing. Let us know how it comes out.

Iodophor is no-rinse, but it takes a few hours for the iodine to sublimate out.

I used to use Iodophor before bottling. Iodine is a halogen with similar properties to chlorine. I switched to Star-San and eliminated a level of phenols, a slight astringency.

Also, some people are way more sensitive to phenols.

Back