Cooler Mash Tun Sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

I've just started all grain brewing and have completed 2 one gallon batches. I just put myself together a 5 Gallon Cooler Mash Tun with an igloo cooler, ball valve and kettle screen. I wanted to move up to doing 2.5 gallon batches.

My Question is what is the smallest size I can Mash in a 5 gallon cooler? Would I be able to do a 2 or 2.5 gallon batch in it. Is there a way of working this out.

Great site btw guys thanks!!

For a 2.5 gallon batch you will need 5-6 lbs of grain. For starting out plan on 1.5 quarts of mash water per pound of grain, resulting in say 9 quarts of water, or 2.25 gallons. The grain adds some additional volume which is less than 2 quarts additional when fully wetted. So total mash volume is less than 3 gallons. Your 5 gallon cooler will be fine.

Incidentally I do the same thing. I brew 2-3 gallon batches in a nominal 5 gallon cooler. I find this size keeps the all equipment simple and encourages me to try a wide variety of brews.

That's great

The one gallon batches seemed a lot of hard work for not much. I can live with 2.5 gallons. I only have an electric stove at the moment and figure doing 5 gallons maybe a pain with such a puny heat source.

Thanks for the help! It really helped out.

bulbous_blues said:
Hi

I've just started all grain brewing and have completed 2 one gallon batches. I just put myself together a 5 Gallon Cooler Mash Tun with an igloo cooler, ball valve and kettle screen. I wanted to move up to doing 2.5 gallon batches.

My Question is what is the smallest size I can Mash in a 5 gallon cooler? Would I be able to do a 2 or 2.5 gallon batch in it. Is there a way of working this out.

Great site btw guys thanks!!

I do 5-7 gallon batches and have a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun. Depending on the recipe/grain bill/etc. the 10 gallon cooler can get tight. I've never had an issue but it's come close. Also, I use an electric stove and have zero issues with bringing the wort to a boil. You'll be fine with 5 gallons on there.

Soon the 2-3 gallons will seem like a lot of work for not much! I give you 6-8 months before your itching to do 5 gal batches! Lol

ok that's good to know it's possible to heat 5 gallons on an electric stove top, all I need is a bigger pot. I just have a small tamale steamer pot I had hanging about. cheers!

Well I only lasted 2 batches on the one gallons lol I know people say alcohol can be addictive, I didn't know they ment making it

Back