md first hop season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
I got five types of hops this fall and planted them along my south facing wall and some on a raised burm along my fence line. the first picture is on 26 March the second picture is on 3 April 1 week later. More pics to follow.these are Cascade. The other varieties are saaz, mt hood, santian,and fuggle. The dirt is home made compost and chicken poop with shred leaves as mulch. These will be organic grown.

IMG_20130326_185404_735.jpg

IMG_20130403_224002_374.jpg

Very cool! Where did you get them? We would like to grow some too and we are just south of you.

i can give you some of each this fall, they are from friends.

Thank you for the offer. Right now I just need to find a place to grow them!

I strung up the strings yesterday for the hops. The cascade are almost a foot tall. I used stainless steel eye hooks one at the peak of the roof, one near each gutter then one at ground level on both sides to secure the main line. The main line is 5/8 poly line then hemp lines running down to 18" steel stakes driven in at an angle. Each planr has one stake with three lines going up to the main line. The stakes came Pre drilled they are designed for rebar support. I found them near the rebars at home depot for about three bucks each.

454k30 said:
Thank you for the offer. Right now I just need to find a place to grow them!

We are first time growers also and we got plants from Great Lakes Hops. They are great to do business with. The plants showed up three weeks ago, we followed the instructions and now the plants are, average, a foot tall. We put them in pots and are in our basement right now. If the weather cooperates they will be outside this weekend for some real sun. Still too chilly here to put them in the ground. Totally happy with our purchase and they guy my boyfriend talked to there was REALLY knowledgeable and helpful!!! Will definitely buy more from them!

Awesome! This is going to be my first year growing as well. I got my crowns from greatlake hops yesterday and plan on getting them into the ground today. Starting off with magnum, glacier and goldings.

Howdy! I'm in Frederick, myself. I've got some established-but-recently-transplanted Cascades, plus some "new" Cascades, Magnum, Willamette, and Sterling. This will be the first year for the new ones; year five for the old Cascades... I'm working on a deck, so I can build a pergola for the new plants to grow up.

Cheers!

--Misha

We got Chinook, Vojvodina, Cascade and Tetananger this year. We tried the Vojvodina because they are fairly new and wanted something a little different. They are all about a foot tall and waiting patiently till we are able to get them out of the greenhouse and in the ground. Looking forward to our final product.

Happy growing!

More pics. I hooked up the stings for one side of my house. The greenery mixed in with the hops are peas. Good for nitrogen in the soil. I cant believe how big these are for only the first year. Im willing to bet they will hit the roof top by fall.

I need to string up the trees with eye hooks and rope over the next week or so. In the third pic you can see my neighbors house im trying to hide with the wall-o-hops. Between the two trees is my burm of compost about 3' wide and 4" tall then about 2" of shredded leaves. The location isnt optimal for sun, it only gets full sun after noon but my initial goal is to hide the house not yield.

Hops 2013 002.jpg

Hops 2013 003.jpg

Hops 2013 004.jpg

Hops 2013 005.jpg

Hops 2013 007.jpg

Back