Help with first BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yipp

Reaction score
I have done a few extract and partial extract kits and would like to get into the next stage of brewing (all grain). I plan do use the BIAB method going forward. Currently I have basic extract brewing equipment including 5 gallon pot. I recently purchased a strong paint strainer to use in the 5 gal pot for BIAB. I would like to brew the following recipe and still end of up with a 5 gallon batch.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1645/bells-two-hearted-ipa

I believe it can be done by doing a partial mash, but I don't fully understand how a partial mash works. Can anyone help explain (specifically referencing the attached recipe) the steps or modifications I would need to take to do this?

*If this recipe won't work with my equipment limitations, does anyone have any recommendations on a similar all grain recipe that would work?

I already made this more confusing by accident. I didn't mean to ask about partial mashing (still new to the terms). I should have asked about using extra sparge water to get up to 5 gallons.

If you want to do this recipe with your gear, you'll have to do a partial mash.

There are three types of brewing:

1. Extract. You've done this.

2. All grain. You mash your grains - which means that you hold them at a set temperature (usually 148-158 degrees F) for a set time period (usually an hour). You typically then sparge (rinse) the grains to get to your fulll volume.

3. Partial mash. You do a miniature mash, usually with half or less of the base grains, plus all of the specialty grains. When that is done, you add extract to get to the total amount of sugars that you need.

The biggest reason that you won't be able to do this as a full all grain recipe is the size of your pot. To get a proper five gallon batch, you'd have to start with more wort than that... probably 6.5 - 7.5 gallons or so. You just can't fit that in your pot.

So, what you would do would be to put a few pounds of Maris Otter into your bag, along with the Vienna, the cara-pils, and the crystal malt. It says that we are shooting for light body, so you'd mash at 148 degrees for an hour. Then, you'd rinse the grains with enough hot water (say, 168 degrees) to get up to your boil volume.

Boil as normal, making your hop additions per the recipe. With about 15 minutes left in the boil, add your extract. Adding it late like this will help keep the flavor and color light. Cool and transfer to the fermenter, then top off with water to get to five gallons.

Incidentally, DeathBrewer has an excellent tutorial on partial mashing - check out his thread here.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific process questions, need help adjusting the recipe to partial mash, etc.

Back